🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: client didn't fund all the money before w...
Page options
elcaiseriii
Community Member

client didn't fund all the money before work

When my client made the contract he funded only half of the money in my proposal, is that okay and can I submit the work for all the money once or I have to ask him to create another milestone.

thanks, I am waiting for your feedback

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "When my client made the contract he funded only half of the money in my proposal, is that okay and can I submit the work for all the money once or I have to ask him to create another milestone."

The client funded all of the money for the work that he wants you to do now.

Example:

Freelancer: "I will draw a picture of a dog for $50, and I will draw a picture of a cat, for $40. Total is $90."

Client funds $50. Task is to draw a dog.

This means that the client DOES NOT WANT the freelancer to draw the picture of the cat.

Here is what will happen next:

Freelancer will draw the picture of a dog.

The click the Submit button.

Then the client will release payment ($50).

Then the client will fund a NEW escrow payment of $40.

Then the freelancer will draw the cat.

Then the client will release the final $40 payment.

=====

Questions and Answers:

Q: Should the freelancer go ahead and submit the work for that has not been funded in escrow?

A: No.

Q. If the freelancer submits the final work, is the client obligated to pay for it?

Q. If the freelancer submits the final work, but the client hasn't funded escrow, will Upwork help the freelancer get paid for for that final work?

Q: What should the freelancer do if the client funds only part of the project?

A: The freelancer needs to do the work for the funded payment, and then WAIT.

Q: What if the client says in messages that he wants the freelancer to go ahead and finish the project?

A: If a freelancer doesn't fund a milestone task in escrow, then it means he doesn't want me to work on that task. It doesn't matter what he "says" in messages. Funded escrow is what matters?

Q: Does the budget matter?

Q: What if the client promises to pay me when the work is done?

A: Promises don't matter.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "When my client made the contract he funded only half of the money in my proposal, is that okay and can I submit the work for all the money once or I have to ask him to create another milestone."

The client funded all of the money for the work that he wants you to do now.

Example:

Freelancer: "I will draw a picture of a dog for $50, and I will draw a picture of a cat, for $40. Total is $90."

Client funds $50. Task is to draw a dog.

This means that the client DOES NOT WANT the freelancer to draw the picture of the cat.

Here is what will happen next:

Freelancer will draw the picture of a dog.

The click the Submit button.

Then the client will release payment ($50).

Then the client will fund a NEW escrow payment of $40.

Then the freelancer will draw the cat.

Then the client will release the final $40 payment.

=====

Questions and Answers:

Q: Should the freelancer go ahead and submit the work for that has not been funded in escrow?

Q. If the freelancer submits the final work, is the client obligated to pay for it?

Q. If the freelancer submits the final work, but the client hasn't funded escrow, will Upwork help the freelancer get paid for for that final work?

Q: What should the freelancer do if the client funds only part of the project?

A: The freelancer needs to do the work for the funded payment, and then WAIT.

Q: What if the client says in messages that he wants the freelancer to go ahead and finish the project?

A: If a freelancer doesn't fund a milestone task in escrow, then it means he doesn't want me to work on that task. It doesn't matter what he "says" in messages. Funded escrow is what matters?

Q: Does the budget matter?

Q: What if the client promises to pay me when the work is done?

A: Promises don't matter.

jr-translation
Community Member

Eslam K wrote:

When my client made the contract he funded only half of the money in my proposal, is that okay and can I submit the work for all the money once or I have to ask him to create another milestone.

thanks, I am waiting for your feedback

Did the client agree to the amount in your proposal and is it mentioned in the contract?

If the contract says $500 but he only funded $250 in one milestone, you should only hand over what was defind in that milestone.

If your proposal says $500 but the contract says $250, you accepted the lower rate when you accepted the offer. In this case you should hand over everything.

nayab-s
Community Member

It's up to the freelancer how much risk he wants to take or how much trust is he willing to put in a new client. I know freelancers who would work a whole month for a client who has a great profile without any milestone whatsoever. 

But I also know those who won't begin until and unless there's a full milestone (like myself). This is the approach I will suggest. It's online work and safety comes first. 

In my personal opinion it is also about self-respect in a deal. If a professional relationship is based in mutual respect, the leverage should be even. Your client shouldn't have more power over the deal. 

All approaches will make you lose some clients and find some. So it really doesn't matter. What matters is resolving your approach and then staying true to yourself. (Y) Happy freelancing man! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths