🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » client disappeared... what to do?
Page options
felipeharo
Community Member

client disappeared... what to do?

I have 2 contracts open with clients who disappeared 2 months ago with no answer whatsoever...

I have many questions about this:

- Does upwork penalize the freelancer if the contract is inactive and open?
- What is worse... leaving a contract open and inactive or closing it without feedback?
- I could theoretically continue working on these projects... and after i do that, the client will be charged some amount and react... or continue not reacting... Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are not obligated to reply to freelancers.

In truth, the client probably did not disappear. The client may simply not be replying to your messages.

If a client asked you do do a task, and you have not completed that task yet, then you may continue to work on the task - while logging time. Continue to send regular update messages to the client informing the client about the progress. Do not ask the client why she does not reply to your messages.

If you have completed the work you were asked to do, then stop working on the project.

Having an inactive contract open will have little or no impact on JSS. Eventually you could close the contract yourself if you think the client is really gone forever.

I have a similar situation where it's been many weeks since I've received a response from my client to questions I've asked, and I'm unable to continue development without further information. My last 3 questions have gone unanswered and it's been 3 weeks. Can I close the contract or should I just wait indefinitely? 

Avi G wrote:  Can I close the contract or should I just wait indefinitely? 

I'd wait another couple of weeks and then close the contract.

petra_r
Community Member

Felipe H wrote:

1. Does upwork penalize the freelancer if the contract is inactive and open?
2.  What is worse... leaving a contract open and inactive or closing it without feedback?
3. I could theoretically continue working on these projects... and after i do that, the client will be charged some amount and react... or continue not reacting... Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

1. Provided you have been paid something under those contracts at some point in the past, they have no negative effect on anything.

2. Provided you have been paid something under those contracts at some point in the past, neither has any    negative effect on anything.

3. Unless the client has asked you to do so, that would obviously be a very bad idea.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members