🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » client do not answer
Page options
gcmunoz
Community Member

client do not answer

hi, I am not new in Upwork,

but recently I started a project with a new client. At the beginning communication was fluent, but for the last 2 weeks this client does not answer my emails.  I have sent him 3 emails, and I don't want him to be annoyed.

I really don't have any idea , if he wants to end the contract, or if there would some more projects to work on.

So Any suggestion what should I do?  Or shall I end the contract in 2 weeks time?

I don't want to sound rude but neither don't want to be waiting to see if he does or does not want to continue working with me.

It is the 1st time this happens to me.

thank you for any suggestions:smileysurprised

13 REPLIES 13
JoanneP

Hi Gabriela,

I understand that you are worried about your client not getting back to you. You may allow more time for your client to get back to you. They may have been busy with other activities that affected their response time. If in case you decide to end the contract, it would be best to send the client a message letting them know before you end the contract. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
richardrader
Community Member

I would simply wait for a response. You've already reached out, you do no need to reach out anymore. This happens from time to time with clients as they may be busy or even forget about their contract on upwork. I'd leave the contract open for some time in case he comes back.

thank you so much for your reply,

I really understand this could happen and that client must be focused and busy with other stuff.
Anyway I feel concern because it has been already 2 weeks, and in the meantime I don't feel sure about sending proposal for new Jobs, because it wouldn't be professional from my side to offer my services, when I am not sure how many hours I can offer to work, then I may be loosing other new contract.
I can wait time for him (the client to come back), but I also asked myself how much time do I have to wait?
thank you so much for your valuable comments,

it's so good to share with professional people when doubts come across.

re: "I really understand this could happen and that client must be focused and busy with other stuff."

Probably. Or the client is NOT busy, and is instead binge-watching a favorite TV series on Netflix. Or gardening. Or maybe the client decided he doesn't want you to work for him any more, but he was too embarassed to tell you. It doesn't matter.

re: "Anyway I feel concern because it has been already 2 weeks, and in the meantime I don't feel sure about sending proposal for new jobs, because it wouldn't be professional from my side to offer my services, when I am not sure how many hours I can offer to work, then I may be loosing other new contract."

You are incorrect.

You do NOT owe this client anything.

You do NOT owe this client your time when the client is paying you nothing.

You are welcome to look for other work.

If the client wanted you to keep you time free in case she had something for you to do, then the client would set up a weekly retainer. This IS an option that Upwork clients have. The fact that the client did not do this means that the client does NOT expect you to be free to work on his projects.

re: "I can wait time for him (the client to come back), but I also asked myself how much time do I have to wait?"

How much time do you wait? Zero days and zero hours.

Yeah, do not pause on finding work. It is their fault for disappearing - you deserve to make money in the meantime.

This is exactly why I take on any job that comes to me no matter how overbooked I am as long as the client seems normal and nice, the work is in my wheelhouse, and they enjoy my portfolio and will let me design in my preferred style. Because people pause or disappear, or don't have the information I need, ALL. THE. TIME. it is constant and neverending, but i still make the same amount of money every week because I am always balancing 10+ contracts. If you really feel it is so much work you can't possibly manage, that's one thing, but you are entitled to make a living.

Gardening, watching TV... all totally plausible excuses.

It could also be that the client had an overdose of coconuts and is literally too busy (in the toilet) to reply.

Nevertheless, you should follow Preston's advice. 👍

Thank you Preston for saying it like it is. Some clients do not value our time and have no consideration for us to give status updates on the project or like what just happened to me "Oh I went out of town for a week, I needed to get away" well a well-organized business owner with integrity would have communicated that. For some, this is how we make a living and at what point do we get to stand up for ourselves and say NO that is unacceptable to not respond to my last 3 emails? I've recently started to be more assertive and take control of the situation instead of letting people walk all over me anymore. I agree, take on as much work as you like. Half of the jobs I accept don't have all the content and material ready or I'm waiting on someone to get back to me. I will be patient up to a certain point. It's frustrating too because if disputed, I feel that Upwork will side with the clients because that's who brings in the cash.

There's no reason for it to be disputed. As long as you worked and the client paid you, there's nothing TO dispute. 

You're not going to lose anything by keeping the contract open for a bit to let your client answer, and you're not going to lose anything by closing the contract. Just let your client know if they'd like to hire you for a future project, you're more than happy to begin a new contract. The ball is then in their court. 

You need to remember you are a freelancer, NOT an employee. I have several clients who say they have ongoing work, and many do... and I do that work when it comes in. In the meantime, I find other clients and do other jobs.  

It's all about integrity and doing what you say you're going to do and holding people accountable. I know I'm not an employee, and that's the nice thing about being a freelancer you can choose whom you work with. Most job postings have such limited information about the project, it's hard to determine if the project is worth the effort. Yes, you do lose out if clients don't get back to you...you don't get paid, not sure why you say you don't lose anything?

That's not what I said. 
I said if the job is done and you've been paid, it's not going to do you any harm to leave the contract open for a bit to see whether the client is interested in doing so. It's likewise not going to do any harm to close the contract if there's been no client contact. 

The entire point above (you're not going to lose anything) was predicated on the very first line of my comment: "As long as you got paid."

Stephanie R wrote:

Yes, you do lose out if clients don't get back to you...you don't get paid, not sure why you say you don't lose anything?

Why? If you don't do any work, you won't get paid. If you weren't hired, why would you do work?

If you you use Upwork correctly, you are paid for the work you do.

If you use Upwork correctly, whether a client gets back to you or not doesn't matter, because you get paid for your work regardless.

Everybody's situation is different and yes I know how to use Upwork correctly thanks for trying to publicly shame me. I do many projects for a flat fee so after spending hours on a project and then turn it in for review only waiting weeks for a response after trying many times to contact them, then yeah I don't get paid. If the funds are in escrow and you submit it for payment with no response back from the client, you will eventually receive the funds after 15 days. But who wants to wait that much longer after a month already? Congratulations if you've never had a slacker client that you thought you could rely on. It doesn't seem like you can relate to my situation and your comments aren't really helpful. 

Stephanie R wrote:

Everybody's situation is different and yes I know how to use Upwork correctly thanks for trying to publicly shame me. I do many projects for a flat fee so after spending hours on a project and then turn it in for review only waiting weeks for a response after trying many times to contact them, then yeah I don't get paid. If the funds are in escrow and you submit it for payment with no response back from the client, you will eventually receive the funds after 15 days. But who wants to wait that much longer after a month already? 

"If" the funds are in escrow? I don't do any work if there are no funds in escrow, nor do I wait a month before I submit work using the "submit" button. By following this procedure, I've always been paid and I've never had to wait for more than two weeks, whether the client responds to me or not. I'm sure that we can all relate to the frustration of having a client disappear on us, but it needn't cause payment issues and I don't think that it's shaming you to point this out.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members