Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client edited milestone, and he is offline now

Highlighted
Khaled M Member Since: Feb 26, 2018
1 of 9

Hi,upwork

thanks to be a toprated freelancer

i have a client edited milestone after we agreed on it, he edited it to become 100$ instead of 200$ and when we discussed he told me that he will pay all the amount, now i finished the work and sent to him,he reviewed it and told me that's ok then he become offline after that he asked me some questions and i asked him to give me the payment he told me to wait few days i waited, now he is offline again and not answering me, the amount of money isn't in a milestone, it is on contract budget because he edited the milestone.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

Khaled:

Whatever amount of money is in escrow - that is the amount in escrow.

If you made mistakes in setting up this contract, then learn from your mistakes and don't make the same mistakes again in the future.

For now... you say you have finished the work.

Make sure you submit it officially using the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

And then DO NOTHING.

Do not try to contact this client again.

Wait for either:

a) the client releases payment to you

[or]

b) the client does nothing, and the money is automatically released to you.

Do not argue about the amount of money.

If the client does NOT release the money to you... if he asks for any changes or new work or anything else then tell him, yes, you will be happy to work on that, after he releases the current payment and closes the current contract.

After the current contract is closed, then you will have the choice to continue working with him or not. If you do not trust him to handle fixed-price payments and amounts properly and honestly, then you should only work for him using an hourly contract.

Highlighted
3 of 9

thanks for your response.

there is no amount in escrow, it is just a number in budget, because he edited the milestone to be 100$ then he payed it, after we disscussed he told me that he will pay but after some days, now he is oflline and not answering me. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 9

@Khaled --

Quote: " after we disscussed he told me that he will pay but after some days, now he is oflline and not answering me. "

Unfortunately, the evidence would strongly suggest that your client is not reliable.

Highlighted
5 of 9
Thanks for your response.
So what can I do now
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 9

re: "there is no amount in escrow, it is just a number in budget"

When it comes to fixed-price contracts, you can only rely on being paid money that is actually in escrow. Anything else is up to the client's whims.

Most of us do not any work on a fixed-price contract until we see the full amount of money we expect to receive funded in escrow.

That way, if the client COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS, it is okay, because we will get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

re: "So what can I do now"

Learn from your mistakes.

Do not make the same mistakes again.

Forget about this contract.

You already sent a message to the client asking for payment.

If he pays you more money, great. If he doesn't, then don't worry about it. Don't think about it. Move on.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 9

If only $ 100 are in Escrow then the milestone was created with only $ 100 - A client can not get money back from Escrow by "editing" without your permission or through a dispute.

If nothing is in Escrow you missed the fact that the milestone was only $ 100 not $ 200 or there would still be money in Escrow.

Highlighted
8 of 9

not from escrow, from not funded milestone 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 9

Non-funded milestones are worth absolutely nothing and completely meaningless.

All that matters is what is funded.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS