Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client edited the rate after I have completed project

christype
Christina P Member Since: Jun 13, 2017
1 of 7

Hi All, 

I received a contract from client with an hourly rate and immediately completed the project in 2 hours. 

Upon submitting the work, client edited/increased the rate then ended the contract. Will my work still be considered under the new rate? 

As per checking, I have 2 ended contracts but with different rate, but on the in review tab, the old rate is being shown for the work I rendered.

Hope you can give me insight on this. Thanks. 

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
2 of 7

Color me confused and your profile isn't public so I cannot check that. The client cannot change your rate. Only you can change your rate. You also cannot change your own rate upwards after a contract starts, but you can revise it downwards. Again though that is you, not your client. You do have a rate on your overall profile which you can change at any time, but that does not impact any contract. It only serves to tell clients what you may be looking for and it will fill in as the default when you make a proposal. It does not need to reflect what you actually agree to on a contract. 

if the above doesn't help, you'll need to be much more specific about what happened and perhaps consider making your profile public as well.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

@Scott B wrote:

Color me confused and your profile isn't public so I cannot check that. The client cannot change your rate. Only you can change your rate.

Yes, he can.

Client can INCREASE the hourly rate paid on a contract, freelancer can LOWER the hourly rate paid on a contract. Neither requires the other party's approval.

What this does is essentially close the contract at the previous rate and create a new contract at the new rate, and as soon as the first payment at the new rate is made (!) the "two" contracts are merged and become one again, showing at the new rate as an ongoing contract.

However, increasing the rate and then immediately closing the contract makes no sense, as nothing is paid out at the new rate, so the contract shows as a closed contract at the old rate on the profile, the "new" contract at the new rate has nothing paid on it so never appears / becomes visible.

christype
4 of 7

Thank you for the response. 

Since I did not do any work after the new rate was adjusted, I would assume that I will only get paid from the old contract made. 

Thanks for making it clear. This sure helped a lot. 🙂 

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
5 of 7

Thank you for correcting me, Petra. I had no idea they could do that. I probably should find something to act the part of the client once so that I can better see what's possible from their side. This is an interesting scenario!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 7

Hi Christina,

I checked and can confirm the time you logged was for the original rate, before it was increased. You can see the payment amount for this contract by going to Reports > Overview.

Untitled
christype
7 of 7

Got it. 🙂

Thank you so much for all your help. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS