Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client just changed his mind

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ray C Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
1 of 18

After i did what the client asked, 11 options, he made changes, i sent 4 more versions. Then he decides he wants something completely different. Okay, I did about 8 versions of that. about 14 hours total spent with this guy. Then he sends me a message "I talked to another designer and he thinks i should go a different direction. So thanks for your time, Take care!" And he sends me a refund request. Not only would i not get paid, after i let him scope creep on me, id take a big hit on my JSS too! I would win a dispute because that's ridiculous! if you could just not pay someone because someone else wants the job, then i have literally no rights and no protection. He says he needs the moey back because hes starting from scratch! Wait, this other guy thinks you shoud go a different direction but he has no idea what that is so you're starting from scratch??? And you have to pay him the money you were gonna pay me??? We will both lose the money if i file a dispute but at least i will win so it won't count against my score. I mean how could i lose this?  He even said he liked the work i did and he was going to give me 5 stars!!! I informed him that if i have give him a refund nobody will ever see those stars. He just changed his mind, or rather, someone else changed his mind but he's startring from scratch. I should file a dispute right?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 18

How much money are we talking about? I mean: Is it worth your while to file a dispute?

You don't "win" a dispute anyway, as such, because that stage is mediation. No binding decision is made.

If mediation fails to get an agreement, there is only arbitration left (cos of $ 291 each)

Community Guru
3 of 18

That's what i meant arbitration, and money wise its not but if it keeps it from affecting my JSS yes its worth it to me. how could i lose an arbitration what he did was totally not right, right?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 18

Hi Ray, 

I can`t advise you about the best path to take here but In general, if a freelancer delivered the work as agreed with the client they should be paid for it.
Since your Top Rated you can use Top Rated Perk: Feedback Removal so that it wont affect your JSS. Keep in mind that at least three months must pass and at least 10 new jobs on Upwork must be completed before you can submit another request. 

Untitled
Community Guru
5 of 18

Goran V, you are an employee of Upwork, do you think it's right that my reputation can be ruined by an irrational client who just decides to stiff me? so i lose the money and it lowers my score when i did everything i could to fulfill the contract and more? Does that make any sense to you?
because this happened to me recently with someone else the client was perfectly happy and next thing i know some one is telling her everything i did was bad because he wanted the work. And my score only goes down all my 5 star ratings don't do a thing but one client wants to rip me off and i lose everything i worked for. How can this be right?????!!!!!!!

Community Guru
6 of 18

Ray, you need to take a deep breath and calm down. How would you even know if the client has given you or will be giving you poor feedback? Have you calmly and professionally explained to the client that you had done the work you were contracted to do hence will expect to be paid for it?

Community Guru
7 of 18

Whatever effect the contract has or will have is set in stone when the contract is ended, mediation or arbitration has no effect on that at all.

Dispute if you like, see how mediation goes.

Community Guru
8 of 18

Wait are you saying my JSS will be effected even if i win the arbitration?

Community Guru
9 of 18

I'm going to take it to arbitration anyway, people can''t get away with that. that's too outrageous. What is he thinking? i spent so much time and i was so generous. How could he justify that? I wouldn't dream of doing that to someone ever. I can't let him get away with it just on principle.

Community Guru
10 of 18

We truly have no rights and no protection here. But at least the rates are astronomical!!!! ugh!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS