cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client misleading test

walaa_qassem
Walaa Q Member Since: Nov 12, 2016
1 of 11

A client invited me for his job and request to register on his site first and make a test and the result shouldn't exceed 10% of errors. the problem is I feel when I make the test that it is not a test he finish his work by misleads freelancers with this test, The test took 5+ hours removing duplicate pictures from his site , and I think that the normal test should provide small amount of pictures but the test was 100+ picture and each picture takes time to note the tiny differences. and he was interviewing 37 freelancers and sent invitations to 100 freelancers. So if each freelancer completes the test I think there will be no work to do. 
 I am not sure if I am right.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Walaa: You were tricked into working for free.

This scammer very effectively got a lot,of free work from you.

It would be helpful if you could report this job and/or this client. Flag the job for asking for free work. You can report the client to customer service.

What this scammer did is totally against Upwork rules.

You now know that what you did was very unwise. There is no job. This was a scam. In the future, do not participate in scams like this.

View solution in original post

walaa_qassem
3 of 11

Thank you preston

cybershinestech
Swapnil C Member Since: May 4, 2016
4 of 11
Hi, I faced similar issue. Client was interviewing 100+ freelancers.He asked me for the test, I successfully cleared the test and it took me almost 3 hrs. Client responded me that the test is good and now its hiring time. But after immediately d saw similar job post by same client. When i noticed that it was the same client then I messaged him about same job, but he never showed up. If my test was good and he was interviewing 100+ freelancers already then why he posted same job again? Should freelancer report to the upwork when client asks for any test for the first time? What will be the action or step by upwork for such activity by clients? Thank you Swapnil Chaure
g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 11

Hi Swapnil,

Asking for free work is a violation of our TOS. You can always use our flagging options (above the Submit a proposal button) to flag a job post, our team will review the job posting and the client and proper actions will be taken. Please send me a PM(click on my name) with the job posting and our team will investigate this client further, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

@Swapnil C wrote:
 If my test was good and he was interviewing 100+ freelancers already then why he posted same job again?

Because when he invites 100 people, maybe 5 are silly enough to give the client 3 hours of free work, so the client gets 15 free hours of work.

In the hope of finding more freelancers who don't understand that free work is not a good idea, the client posts the job again to get more free work.

You can flag the job as "client asking for free work" and not do free work in future.

cybershinestech
Swapnil C Member Since: May 4, 2016
7 of 11
I started his test and then I noticed there are 100+ freelancers. I am one of those silly people. hahaha. Anyways lets see further. 🙂
seawitch
Cynthia W Member Since: Apr 29, 2017
8 of 11

Yes, Walaa, you're right. That was a scam. Report them if you can.

I also had a "test" that A) appeared to be quite a lot of work for it to be a test and B) it looked and smelled like plagiarism as I mentioned in another thread. I just sat back and sent him a message that I didn't feel comfortable with that kind of work. We have to be careful and go with our intuition.

walaa_qassem
9 of 11

Thanks cynthia 

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
10 of 11

I have to ask, after 15 minutes didn't you get suspicious that something was wrong. I really don't understand how you can take a test that lasts 5 hours.

I've taken official industry certification tests and the MOST they last are between 1 - 2 hours. I've never heard of tests just to get a job on any freelancing site taking 5 hours.

Why didn't you stop after at least 1/2  hour at the MOST. And why didn't you get paid for taking that test?  Even a small 15 minute test should receive some payment.

Before submitting any more proposals for jobs, or accepting invitations I STRONGLY think you should stop and take time to find out about how this site works. The procedures, the don's and don'ts, the TOS, what to look out for, and most of all the scams.

NEVER be so desperite that you would waste 5 or more hours working and not getting paid for it. To be blunt,  - if you don't know what you're doing, if you don't know what to look out for, you either need to read and find out or not freelance.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS