🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: client negotiating final milestone for ra...
Page options
ibrahimmohamad
Community Member

client negotiating final milestone for rating.

i have an open contract for building a web based application for data visualization purposes, i asked the client to divide the contract into 3 milestone
- design
- development & deployment
and a final one to be paid after the his final feedbacks and changes required after deployment.
i didn't notice that he did just fund one milestone at a time but the first 2 milestones went just fine without any issue and he was just straight payment.
the final milestone though he didn't fund it to upwork, the design and development stages went with nearly finished data, so i have been waiting for the final data to make a swap and edit whatever he asks for to change but i have been waiting for this for at least a month or maybe more if i counted specifically, this week he contacted saying that the project will not go on production due to lack of funds from the 3rd party he is reselling the project to ( a governmental organization ).
so i asked for my last payment as i did my job and actually delivered the product we agreed at but he kinda ignored it for a while but when i repeated my question for the payment he offered to pay a smaller payment since he won't resell the product and said letterly  "Don't worry - you'll get a 5 star rating ".
i couldn't help but interpret this as a negotiation for rating,  i answered as the following 
"i'm sorry but that was part of the contract, the milestone was named final feedback and i did deliver the product i was asked to do, the cancelation was on your part !
i do understand your point but the milestone is a part of the actual work, which i do need and really don't know what to say.
then my rating should be based on my actual delivery and work quality not by set up
please if you can do it now i would really appreciate it, thanks"

and yet he haven't respond, please advice me what should i do in such situation ?
thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You made a mistake.

Let it go.

Upwork won't help you get money.

If it was me, I would thank the client for the opportunity to work on the project, and ask him to close the contract.

Post the unpaid work as a portfolio item if you want to.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pudingstudio
Community Member

Ibrahim M wrote:

i have an open contract for building a web based application for data visualization purposes, i asked the client to divide the contract into 3 milestone
- design
- development & deployment
and a final one to be paid after the his final feedbacks and changes required after deployment.
i didn't notice that he did just fund one milestone at a time but the first 2 milestones went just fine without any issue and he was just straight payment.
the final milestone though he didn't fund it to upwork, the design and development stages went with nearly finished data, so i have been waiting for the final data to make a swap and edit whatever he asks for to change but i have been waiting for this for at least a month or maybe more if i counted specifically, this week he contacted saying that the project will not go on production due to lack of funds from the 3rd party he is reselling the project to ( a governmental organization ).
so i asked for my last payment as i did my job and actually delivered the product we agreed at but he kinda ignored it for a while but when i repeated my question for the payment he offered to pay a smaller payment since he won't resell the product and said letterly  "Don't worry - you'll get a 5 star rating ".
i couldn't help but interpret this as a negotiation for rating,  i answered as the following 
"i'm sorry but that was part of the contract, the milestone was named final feedback and i did deliver the product i was asked to do, the cancelation was on your part !
i do understand your point but the milestone is a part of the actual work, which i do need and really don't know what to say.
then my rating should be based on my actual delivery and work quality not by set up
please if you can do it now i would really appreciate it, thanks"

and yet he haven't respond, please advice me what should i do in such situation ?
thanks

Accept your fault.

Your fault being one where you have spent time, effort, expertize for something that was not funded.
Your fault being that you expect to be payed, whereas a client don't have to.

YOU should blame yourself as harshly as I have showcased it.

It's the only way you'll learn from it and never-ever send your work before a milestone is funded.
There are no handshakes via internet, hands aren't digital.

As freelancers, we work on tasks that are fully funded in escrow.

No escrow funding? Then we don't do the task.

in the contract the milestone is there but saying not active, is this eligable for any dispute or anything upwork can do on this matter ? since the client already responded with disagreement in my request for the payment due to his faliuer to resell the product and said he wouldn't mind going on dispute and need his laywer to review the contract !

If a milestone wasn't funded, then there is nothing to dispute.

You can't dispute a "promise."

You can only dispute money that is actually in escrow. (A "funded milestone.")

A client is allowed to pay you additional money if he wants to. But that is purely between you and him. Such a payment is on the "honor system." It has nothing to do with Upwork, and Upwork won't let you dispute such money.

ok thank you for clearifying , i do accept my mistake but is there anything upwork can do against the client ? at least the request for leaving the payment for a good feedback ?! is this by any means bad behaviour to be taken in consideration ?

Ibrahim M wrote:

in the contract the milestone is there but saying not active, is this eligable for any dispute or anything upwork can do on this matter ? since the client already responded with disagreement in my request for the payment due to his faliuer to resell the product and said he wouldn't mind going on dispute and need his laywer to review the contract !

He said that? Ohh.. Than, continue arguing.

Beware, though. Not much you can do (as was explained).

We all (willing to read through your text) can understand your frustration. You've done some work and now you'd like to be compensated.
Very basic, very understandable.

You made a mistake.

Let it go.

Upwork won't help you get money.

If it was me, I would thank the client for the opportunity to work on the project, and ask him to close the contract.

Post the unpaid work as a portfolio item if you want to.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths