🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » client not funding and paying milestone
Page options
jodhavishalsing
Community Member

client not funding and paying milestone

Hi respected members, 
i started a project and discussed everything with client, we agrred to go with 2 milestone.
1st milestone he funded and paid on time then client said he will fund the 2nd milestone soon i should continue work, i trusted him and Keep working and in between i reminded him many times to fund milestone, but client said the project is not his own and he will fund the milestone when the real client will pay him and he assured me that soon he will get payment and will fund, again i trusted him and i didn't stopped his work and soon all work is done and he said clinet is very happy with work and will pay soon.

But now it's been 10 days everyday he is saying i'll pay tomorrow and then again tomorrow but not paying, so dear members what should i do now ? please suggest.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Trust is a two way street. 

Next time you are in a situation like this, you tell your client:

Dear xy, I really enjoy working on your project. Let me know when you have funded the milestone, so that I can resume working on it. 

And then you do nothing, no work, no further messages. If you don't hear back from the client, end the contract at same later time. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is not complicated.

A client funds a milestone.

Freelancer does the work and submits it.

Client releases the funds to the freelancer.

That is simple.

If you worked on a milestone that was not funded, then you made a mistake. You used Upwork incorrectly. Upwork can not help you in such a situation. You are allowed to ask the client to pay you, but whether or not he pays you is up to him. Nobody can force him to.

should i send a mail to the real client and explain all the details or not ?
is it violation of upwork terms ?

please guide. 

@vikram s wrote:

should i send a mail to the real client and explain all the details or not ?

No! That would violate the non disclosure terms. The "real client" is the person who hired you.

@Petra R wrote:

No! That would violate the non disclosure terms. The "real client" is the person who hired you.

Thanks, ok won't do anything.

I have had the same issue with one client and he ended up funding after almost 2 weeks and gave the same claims of his client not paying him on time. Really dissapointing

petra_r
Community Member

vikram s wrote: what should i do now ?

Nothing you can do, or anyone can do. If the client does not pay you learned a bitter lesson that if you work on unfunded milestones, you do so at your own risk.

kat303
Community Member

Vikram - What should you do? You should move on. This client is NOT going to pay you. he got his work by scamming you. If there are no funds in escrow, then you don't even start the work for that milestone. You have to remember, you're dealing with strangers worldwide on the internet. Trust is built up by long time working relationships. Promises and assurances don't pay your bills, money from completed jobs do.

This client sounds like a farmer. He got paid from his client and only had to pay you a fraction of what is owed to you - he gest to keep all the rest.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Trust is a two way street. 

Next time you are in a situation like this, you tell your client:

Dear xy, I really enjoy working on your project. Let me know when you have funded the milestone, so that I can resume working on it. 

And then you do nothing, no work, no further messages. If you don't hear back from the client, end the contract at same later time. 

I'm in a same situation and felt inecure, so I did what you mentioned above! 

Thankuou, Stay Blessed!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members