cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client reappears with extra demands

meld123
Melanie D Member Since: Mar 23, 2018
1 of 12

I started a project on the 14 March. I was asked for a quick turn around on a project, I handed in the first paper and client announced they were going away for some time . so I handed it in the first milestone- the client has just got back to me with edits and extra work to do. I am now in the middle of other projects, also I feel he is extending the scope of the work. I also do not want to continue working with this client. I need to respond to him, any advice would be appreciated. thanks 

nahidrajbd
Community Leader
Nahid H Member Since: Apr 9, 2011
2 of 12

Hi Melanie, I think in this case you should discuss with your client. But be careful, if client get's rude he/she can make you cry with bad review, no matter how your performance was.

One bonus advice, for safety reason, keep your conversation on upwork messaging system. You can report any kind of problem later on upwork.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
3 of 12

@Melanie D wrote:

I started a project on the 14 March. I was asked for a quick turn around on a project, I handed in the first paper and client announced they were going away for some time . so I handed it in the first milestone- the client has just got back to me with edits and extra work to do. I am now in the middle of other projects, also I feel he is extending the scope of the work. I also do not want to continue working with this client. I need to respond to him, any advice would be appreciated. thanks 

Melanie, if you hand in work and press the release funds button, then the client has 14 days to review it and either release payment or ask for revisions. If the client doesn't respond at all when the 14 days is up, then the money is paid into your account, but it is up to you or the client to close the contract. I assume you didn't close this contract. 

You are in a difficult position given that your client went away and informed you of this. I think to show willing you should do the edits on the first milestone, even if you have already been paid, but if he has asked for work other than what you have already sent, then you can either refuse or ask for the second milestone to be set up. You can also say that you are very busy, but that you can deliver in xhours' or days' time. 

You came to the forum a while ago with this problem, did you not take Avery's advice?  

View solution in original post

meld123
4 of 12

Hi, yes, I did take advice, set up the milestone, didn't hear from client again.  This is the first communication.

Thanks all for your comments 

meld123
5 of 12

Hi, no I didn't, I waited for the 14 day review process as was advised, no response, so I got paid. we are now 6 weeks later, client has sent edits and a host of photos to be included, (I write content, not photo/ doc/ edits.) but thoughts are to complete this milestone and let him know that I'm currently working on other projects as our project was planned to end 26 March. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
6 of 12

Deleted. My question unnecessary.  

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 12

I would say...Hi XYZ. Glad you got back to me. Sure I will do the required edits. The extra would cost %ABC> I'll add those in as soon as the milestone is set up. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 12

You have already been paid for your work.

The client can not force you to do any more work.

Do not do any more work without a new contract.

I would strongly advise against allowing the client to create a new milestone.

Tell the client you will be happy to continue helping her if she closes the current contract and creates a new hourly contract.

Definitely ask her to close the contract. Provide your feedback. The pen you can see what feèdback she left you. That will help you decide whether to accept a new contract with her.

colettelewis
Community Guru
9 of 12

@Melanie D wrote:

Hi, no I didn't, I waited for the 14 day review process as was advised, no response, so I got paid. we are now 6 weeks later, client has sent edits and a host of photos to be included, (I write content, not photo/ doc/ edits.) but thoughts are to complete this milestone and let him know that I'm currently working on other projects as our project was planned to end 26 March. 

Is this a second milestone that has already been set up and funded? 

meld123
10 of 12

no this is the first milestone that I submitted a month ago- he only told me he was going away after I submitted the work- our original contract end date was 26th March! (no other milestones have been set up)

I have decided to do the edits for it  (1st milestone) (even though it is 5 weeks later) and say that I will now close the contract as I have other commitments.

I have worked very hard to get my feedback and just don't want him to leave me anything negative.

Once I have submitted his edits, I really want to end the contract 

Thanks for your advice on this

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS