🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: client requests email of resume and direc...
Page options
christinagray00
Community Member

client requests email of resume and direct phone call to them for submission

In one client's job description he directs applicants to email them directly with a cover letter and resume and then follow up by calling them and leaving a voicemail. I thought this kind of outside contact (before being hired and having a contract) was not allowed? Or am I missing something?

I don't want to apply if this is potentially breaking the rules and could get me in trouble.

FYI - this job is actually listed as a "Featured Job," as well. 

Thanks!
Christina

7 REPLIES 7
kat303
Community Member

You can communicate with clients outside of Upwork, (email, Skype, messaging, phone calls)  You can also send (and receive) files/materials in any way that is agreeable with both of you. (regular mail, dropbox, google drive, file transfer etc.) It's a good idea to copy any communication you have outside of Upwork into Upwork's work room just in case a problem arises. 

ALL financial transactions must take place on this site Also all hiring must take place on this site. A contract must be offered to you in which you can either decline or accept. If you accept you'll see the "active" job listed in the My Jobs section. 

Make sure escrow (if this is a fixed rate job) is FULLY funded before you start work. Be VERY careful of scams. such as,

Mention of Google Hangout,

accepting a check to buy computer/software

pay the client for registration, special fees in their country, taxes etc. 

giving out personal information (SS#, bank account info, drivers license number, Passport/Visa information, Paypal account information etc.)

if you are not sure about something, come on here and ask before you do it. 

yitwail
Community Member

On the one hand, featured job means they paid Upwork $29.99 to make it featured, so that doesn't sound like what a scammer would do. On the other hand, asking for résumés and voice mail is unusual, though not prohibited as Kathy pointed out. But just to be safe, if you do apply, you'd probably want to redact parts of your résumé, like your address for instance.

I don't know about this particual job, but when I encountered this I simply told the client that on Upwork, our profile takes the place of a resume and the proposal is a cover letter.

The job turned out to be the old, "let's interview on Google Hangouts" scam so yeah.

But if you want to submit resumes you might want to make a special one for Upwork that doesn't have your personal info on it.

I agree with John.

This doesn't sound like a scammer.

It sounds like somebody unfamiliar with Upwork, who is applying various "traditional" hiring concepts here, even though it's not the way we typically do things.

re:"In one client's job description he directs applicants to email them directly with a cover letter and resume and then follow up by calling them and leaving a voicemail. I thought this kind of outside contact (before being hired and having a contract) was not allowed? Or am I missing something?"

Nothing the original poster describes is against Upwork ToS, and nothing about this would get her in trouble with Upwork.

What she describes is out of the norm.

But if it was me, personally, and I was interested in the job, I would send the cover letter (my job propsal) and resume (information from Upwork work history and educational history, without contact information) via email and leave the voice mail.

The resume is something that an Upwork freelancer should have ready, or can prepare based on their profile. The cover letter (job proposal) is something the freelancer needs to write any way. And the voicemail can be done quickly and professionally.

Thank you to everyone that replied! Your information is very helpful. 🙂 

~Christina

Gold stars to Kathy and Preston.

I typically deal with Upwork clients off-platform, but invoice and get paid through the platform. I do the same with freelancers. A backup communications channel is valuable.

That said, anything that constitutes an agreement or a dispute needs to be uploaded to the work room.

If a client wants to communicate AND pay outside the platform, run, do not walk, to the nearest UW employee and report the client. If she's willing to cheat UW, what's she going to do to you?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths