cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: client's misinformation

Highlighted
Ayodele A Member Since: Oct 7, 2017
1 of 16

Hello, I am a new freelancer. I submitted a proposal today about a writer with a background in healthcare and the client requested we chat on skype. I found this suspicious but obliged and then i was asked something entirely different from the scope of work posted. And they had these set of terms and conditions that sounded like a "slave driver". I am totally displeased with this act from the client. And i feel upwork should do more with client's job post submissions so that it doesn't affect the integrity of this platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
BEST ANSWER
2 of 16

Ayodele A wrote:

Hello, I am a new freelancer. I submitted a proposal today about a writer with a background in healthcare and the client requested we chat on skype. I found this suspicious but obliged and then i was asked something entirely different from the scope of work posted. And they had these set of terms and conditions that sounded like a "slave driver". I am totally displeased with this act from the client. And i feel upwork should do more with client's job post submissions so that it doesn't affect the integrity of this platform.

You've come to the right place to ask for advice.  It is OK to chat via skype.  You will not be violating Upwork's ToS.  The client MUST pay you via Upwork.  

Paying freelancers $12 for 1000 words is ridiculous.  You will be a slave driver churning and burning content for pennies.  BUT, there are plenty of freelancers on the platform living in parts of the world where $12 can feed their family of 4.  If you're not ok with this sum (hey you can make up to $20 if they like your work!), do not accept!

You have the freedom to choose your clients.  Do so wisely.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 16

I politely declined the job. Thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
4 of 16

Sadly, there are unscrupulous clients (and freelancers) throughout the platform, it's impossible for Upwork to traffic them all. So, client screening is critical! 

Apart from their onerous payment terms, it sounds like they are pushing communication off the Upwork platform. Strictly speaking, that is not against TOS, but the language in their T/C seems very suspicious to me.

If you haven't received and accepted an offer from them, I would not engage further. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 16

Ayodele, I agree with you 100%. The pdf document you attached may be removed due to community guidelines, but clients can't impose penalty fees on freelancers, as the client's terms specified.

6 of 16

Just wanted to add, having read the terms a bit more closely, they sound like they are outsourcing their work - hence the low pay and ridicioulous terms. I suggest you run away. 

Highlighted
7 of 16

I ran as fast as my feet could carry me. (laughs)

Highlighted
8 of 16

Thank you for your input, we learn everyday.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 16

John K wrote:

Ayodele, I agree with you 100%. The pdf document you attached may be removed due to community guidelines, but clients can't impose penalty fees on freelancers, as the client's terms specified.

Adding to this - those absurd "terms and conditions" add up to diddlysquat and clearly indicate that the client is an essay mill. (Discuss the difference between teaching probability conceptually and procedurally. 2000 words.)

The client should be reported.

Whether Upwork will act on this is another question ... 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 16

Ayodele A wrote:

No, Upwork needs to stay out of our decisions. It's your decision to decline the job and tell the client to sod off. Nobody of value wants Upwork making decisions on what jobs should and shouldn't be in the feed. Smart freelancers will avoid the bad and go for the good ones. I guarantee this job had red flags all over it that you will need to learn to detect.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS