🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: client's misinformation
Page options
ayorese
Community Member

client's misinformation

Hello, I am a new freelancer. I submitted a proposal today about a writer with a background in healthcare and the client requested we chat on skype. I found this suspicious but obliged and then i was asked something entirely different from the scope of work posted. And they had these set of terms and conditions that sounded like a "slave driver". I am totally displeased with this act from the client. And i feel upwork should do more with client's job post submissions so that it doesn't affect the integrity of this platform.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

Ayodele A wrote:

Hello, I am a new freelancer. I submitted a proposal today about a writer with a background in healthcare and the client requested we chat on skype. I found this suspicious but obliged and then i was asked something entirely different from the scope of work posted. And they had these set of terms and conditions that sounded like a "slave driver". I am totally displeased with this act from the client. And i feel upwork should do more with client's job post submissions so that it doesn't affect the integrity of this platform.

You've come to the right place to ask for advice.  It is OK to chat via skype.  You will not be violating Upwork's ToS.  The client MUST pay you via Upwork.  

Paying freelancers $12 for 1000 words is ridiculous.  You will be a slave driver churning and burning content for pennies.  BUT, there are plenty of freelancers on the platform living in parts of the world where $12 can feed their family of 4.  If you're not ok with this sum (hey you can make up to $20 if they like your work!), do not accept!

You have the freedom to choose your clients.  Do so wisely.  

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
robin_hyman
Community Member

Ayodele A wrote:

You've come to the right place to ask for advice.  It is OK to chat via skype.  You will not be violating Upwork's ToS.  The client MUST pay you via Upwork.  

Paying freelancers $12 for 1000 words is ridiculous.  You will be a slave driver churning and burning content for pennies.  BUT, there are plenty of freelancers on the platform living in parts of the world where $12 can feed their family of 4.  If you're not ok with this sum (hey you can make up to $20 if they like your work!), do not accept!

You have the freedom to choose your clients.  Do so wisely.  

I politely declined the job. Thank you

m_sharman
Community Member

Sadly, there are unscrupulous clients (and freelancers) throughout the platform, it's impossible for Upwork to traffic them all. So, client screening is critical! 

Apart from their onerous payment terms, it sounds like they are pushing communication off the Upwork platform. Strictly speaking, that is not against TOS, but the language in their T/C seems very suspicious to me.

If you haven't received and accepted an offer from them, I would not engage further. 

yitwail
Community Member

Ayodele, I agree with you 100%. The pdf document you attached may be removed due to community guidelines, but clients can't impose penalty fees on freelancers, as the client's terms specified.

Just wanted to add, having read the terms a bit more closely, they sound like they are outsourcing their work - hence the low pay and ridicioulous terms. I suggest you run away. 

I ran as fast as my feet could carry me. (laughs)

ayorese
Community Member

Thank you for your input, we learn everyday.

John K wrote:

Ayodele, I agree with you 100%. The pdf document you attached may be removed due to community guidelines, but clients can't impose penalty fees on freelancers, as the client's terms specified.

Adding to this - those absurd "terms and conditions" add up to diddlysquat and clearly indicate that the client is an essay mill. (Discuss the difference between teaching probability conceptually and procedurally. 2000 words.)

The client should be reported.

Whether Upwork will act on this is another question ... 

lysis10
Community Member

Ayodele A wrote:

No, Upwork needs to stay out of our decisions. It's your decision to decline the job and tell the client to sod off. Nobody of value wants Upwork making decisions on what jobs should and shouldn't be in the feed. Smart freelancers will avoid the bad and go for the good ones. I guarantee this job had red flags all over it that you will need to learn to detect.

ayorese
Community Member

Please i would love to learn how to detect these red flags. So i don't submit proposals to certain jobs.

Ayodele A wrote:

Please i would love to learn how to detect these red flags. So i don't submit proposals to certain jobs.

Sometimes the red flags aren't obvious from the job posting, but you came here to ask about some fishy terms and conditions, so your spidey sense is working.

The challenging thing when you are new to the platform (regardless of your past experience), you are vulnerable to a lot of client scams or very poorly paying jobs.

Here a few flags:

Asking for personal information (i.e. SS #, etc) they don't need that, Upwork handles all the money

Asking you to sign a separate contract, in general Upworks terms should cover most needs. That said, I sign NDAs all the time because many of my clients share personal information with me. I have no issue with that.

Asking you to a Google Hangout. Communicating off Upwork is perfectly fine, but for some reason there is a scam connected to Google Hangouts Specifically

Don't start working without an accepted offer and live contract

There are tons of resources in this forum and help articles, take a look!

Thank you so much, you guys are awesome.

florydev
Community Member

Ayodele A wrote:

Thank you so much, you guys are awesome.

I think you have already shown some good skill at finding your own red flags but I think in all things if it is too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

I also think that relationships are built to trust but cannot start with distrust.  If the client shows me any sign or excuse that they are doing things out of distrust or because of past experience I am done with them.  I don't pay for other people's mistakes.

A good client relationship is collaborative.  I don't work for them, we work together.  I can't say this applies across the board for all areas of work but I am not being brought on to be told what to do but to tell my clients what needs to be done.  One of the reasons I am a freelancer is I can work with anybody but I want to work for almost nobody.

Beyond that be careful, and if you are unsure post about it here and someone will help you.

researchediting
Community Member

I stopped reading at:
"Sometimes, you have to accept writing projects that you do not want, if management needs help."

No. I never have to "accept" any project I do not want. I choose the projects I want. And I don't have "management."

When, in another life, I did have to answer to management, I came to realize that their "needs" were infinite. My resources were finite. End of that story.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ayodele, 

The Community has been really helpful with giving you great tips on how to be safe on Upwork. I usually share these freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully, and safely on the platform. I highly recommend that you don't forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths