🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » clients don't watch my video proposals !!!
Page options
zeghilet
Community Member

clients don't watch my video proposals !!!

hi guys 

so in the last month, I started submitting proposals in a new way, which is video proposals. the idea is basically to record a video with "Loom" where I explain everything and then send a link to the client where he can watch the video. 

the problem is that I noticed that they almost don't click on the link of the video !!! is that because there is a problem with that link (because Upwork is very sensitive with links !!) or because clients don't like this idea or something else?  

please answer me if you have some experience doing video proposals 

kind regards 

khireddine 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Erman G wrote:

I love UW and its platform, and it gave me a lot of new opportunities, but I think UW should have some standards regarding clients also. You can't treat freelancers like a packet of dogs and you pick one because you like a sentence of his proposal... This guy puts effort in HIS project. It is a respect thingy to at least listen to what he says.

The OP says that clients aren't watching his video proposals, so they're presumably not hiring him, either. You can rant all you like about how things "should" be, but I think that the main principle when you're trying to market your business is that if something isn't working, you should try something else.

And respect works both ways; if clients don't have the time or inclination to watch your video because they've got 50 other proposals to sift through, then you should respect that.

To the OP: there's nothing wrong with using a video in order to try to stand out. But you should first put some effort into making a good written proposal; if a client is intrigued by that, then they might be more likely to watch your video. If you're just saying, "here, watch my video" and you're not tailoring your proposals to the specific client, then don't be surprised if they continue to ignore you.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

If I posted a job as a client and you sent me a video proposal, I certainly would not watch it.

(Unless I was posting a job for video production work.)

thank you for your response, recently I was listening to interviews of top freelancers on upwork done by an American guy, and often when he asked them about the best way to submit a unique proposal, the answer was "video proposal" for most of them. it is kind of being a little bit different...

i think i will need to test a bit more this technique before my final judgment.

thanks 

So the clients can just copy and paste their jobs, with 900 lines of text and without any interpunction, or asking things like working in the weekends and daytime for 100 euro a month, but this guy spends time in a proposal but it doesn't even get watched by the clients...

you also know this is not 100% ok. We're talking about someone who puts effort vs someone who just posts and sees what triggers his mind during his psychology of what upwork exactly is and how upwork works... I would watch it if I was a client. It's better then the ' Hi, (insert name client)' to give the impression that you are personal Smiley Very Happy (seriously, does any client think ' owh he is so personal'  when he sees this?'

Im just talking about the main thought ... I understand the clients point of view also, but every point of interest in your job should be taken seriously imo.

Erman G wrote:

So the clients can just copy and paste their jobs, with 900 lines of text and without any interpunction, or asking things like working in the weekends and daytime for 100 euro a month, but this guy spends time in a proposal but it doesn't even get watched by the clients...

you also know this is not 100% ok. We're talking about someone who puts effort vs someone who just posts and sees what triggers his mind during his psychology of what upwork exactly is and how upwork works... I would watch it if I was a client. It's better then the ' Hi, (insert name client)' to give the impression that you are personal Smiley Very Happy (seriously, does any client think ' owh he is so personal'  when he sees this?'

Im just talking about the main thought ... I understand the clients point of view also, but every point of interest in your job should be taken seriously imo.

You might (or might not) have a point. 

Either way, clients are not going to change their hiring habits according to freelancers' preferences. They are going to hire using the method that they consider to be best for them and their project. They are the ones making hiring decisions and putting money into the system. If freelancers wish to be hired then they will need to apply in a manner that will make their proposals attractive to clients, not the other way around. 

Yes, you are also right.

But, clients aren't God. In fact, most of the clients have no idea what they are doing on Upwork.

You should take a look sometimes on reddit, you will see some jobs clients post.... it is hilarious. Freelancers aren't perfect, but clients certainly aren't also. I love UW and its platform, and it gave me a lot of new opportunities, but I think UW should have some standards regarding clients also. You can't treat freelancers like a packet of dogs and you pick one because you like a sentence of his proposal... This guy puts effort in HIS project. It is a respect thingy to at least listen to what he says.

I wouldn't even want to work for someone who didn't watch my (video) proposal. Keep on going, topicstarter... 

Erman G wrote:

I love UW and its platform, and it gave me a lot of new opportunities, but I think UW should have some standards regarding clients also. You can't treat freelancers like a packet of dogs and you pick one because you like a sentence of his proposal... This guy puts effort in HIS project. It is a respect thingy to at least listen to what he says.

The OP says that clients aren't watching his video proposals, so they're presumably not hiring him, either. You can rant all you like about how things "should" be, but I think that the main principle when you're trying to market your business is that if something isn't working, you should try something else.

And respect works both ways; if clients don't have the time or inclination to watch your video because they've got 50 other proposals to sift through, then you should respect that.

To the OP: there's nothing wrong with using a video in order to try to stand out. But you should first put some effort into making a good written proposal; if a client is intrigued by that, then they might be more likely to watch your video. If you're just saying, "here, watch my video" and you're not tailoring your proposals to the specific client, then don't be surprised if they continue to ignore you.

thank you Christine, i think that your answer will definitely help me. you are right, I am just saying "here, watch my video" without tailoring the proposals to the specific client. I know that video proposal works, I was interviewed two times and hired one only for three video proposals views. 

thank you for your help  

Erman G wrote:

This guy puts effort in HIS project. It is a respect thingy to at least listen to what he says.

I hire every now and then on Upwork and I have to say that I have rarely seen someone as entitled as you. Clients who come here are under no obligation to watch or read anything. Clients come here because they have a specific task that they need done. That's it. Period. This is a B2B platform, not a social club.

I don't care how much time somebody has spent into making a video, I'm not watching it. I need written proposals that I can skim through. Sending a proposal that consist solely in a video is a marketing mistake from the freelancer. Prospective clients bear no responsibility.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlsanders
Community Member

It's probably because UGH, what an unnecessary hassle you are creating for the client compared with quickly skimming a written proposal. Why would a client take time to watch a video when he or she could spend a few seconds glancing at each written proposal to vet which he/she wanted to learn more about?

Let's say I am trying to hire a person to create custom, illustrated buttons or icons to be used on a website...

Wouldn't I be more likely to look at each freelancer's portfolio, rather than watch a video?

As a client, I am accustomed to certain standard tools and user-interface elements: cover letter, job history, JSS score, portfolio, etc. A "video cover letter" is not a standard element and is not easily usable compared to other things.

Any freelancer that sent me a video as an application would be rejected immediately. Not so much as one second of the video would be watched. I want to skim through proposals quickly to begin with to create a shortlist. 

florydev
Community Member

Don't do that, I think that is a signficant waste of your time.

What you instead might do is record some videos which will help a client somehow related to the work you do.  Some useful information on how to get their project done showing you know what you are talking about and then you could include a link to it in your proposals.

It needs to be something that would help them understand their project better quickly.  I also think it should be done with the spirit of giving them good guidance and not necessarily expecting anything  to come  your way because of it.  If done properly they would not only help you with proposals but also serve as marketing for your services.

Just a thought.

thank you Mr Mark

I think that you're right when it comes to having video templates that I can send for clients because as you said customized videos are time-consuming.

thank you 

Mark's idea is really brilliant.

If I make some videos demonstrating my knowledge and expertise of the technologies I work with, then I can include those in my portfolio as well as provide links to them in proposals.

I've had some success in sending youtube links in my proposals, sure most of the time they never get watched, but I've won a few jobs because of it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members