cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clients making an offer before they initiate contact

savedbyzero
Michael G Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
1 of 5

Has anyone else had this happen?  I've had it happen to me twice.  The first time, the client ghosted me, and the second time, after asking me for a time estimate and me telling him around 40 hours, he decided he wanted to try someone else.  Luckily my instincts told me not to accept that second offer until I talked to him a bit, so I was simply able to decline and wish him luck.  

Is this normal behavior here to make an offer, then ask questions later?  Am I nuts for thinking it's weird and inappropriate (mainly because it wastes my time)?

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
2 of 5

@Michael G wrote:

Has anyone else had this happen?  I've had it happen to me twice.  The first time, the client ghosted me, and the second time, after asking me for a time estimate and me telling him around 40 hours, he decided he wanted to try someone else.  Luckily my instincts told me not to accept that second offer until I talked to him a bit, so I was simply able to decline and wish him luck.  

Is this normal behavior here to make an offer, then ask questions later?  Am I nuts for thinking it's weird and inappropriate (mainly because it wastes my time)?

It happens, but it's problematic. Usually newer clients who don't know what they're doing, and think they're interviewing you, rather than actually hiring you.

If the job looks like something you'd actually want to do, first contact Customer Service and see if they can send you a link to the client's previous work history, since there's no job post to look over from a direct offer. And definitely don't accept the contract until you're sure!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 5

It has happened to me on rare occasion, but only with clients who had very specific needs that were a perfect fit for my background. In that context, it hasn't been a problem, but I would never accept a contract without a conversation, no matter how good it looked.

financemark
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
4 of 5

This just now happened to me -- it is as a perfect fit for my skill-set, but I did not bid on the job.  CS has verified that it appears legitimate.  I am waiting to read back from the potential client. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 5

While browsing profiles, clients see a Hire button. When they press this button, they send an offer. It's by design, but the way it's implemented sucks because you cannot see client's account nor know if their payment method is verified.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS