🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » clients who do not do as they say
Page options
millsraymond
Community Member

clients who do not do as they say

8:24 PM Friday Night i get an invite from **Edited for Community Guidelines**

with specs asking i detail the no of hours it would take "I am making my decision on Monday"...
10AM Sat: I respond, attach the finished product saying 2 hours - job still open
he says Ray "I already hired someone..."

Job was still open on upwork. I have to ask are all clients dishonest?

Thoroughly disgusted...

6 REPLIES 6
yitwail
Community Member

Raymond, clients don't have to remove a job posting or make it private when they hire someone, so it's up to freelancers to check that no one's been hired before applying. I'm also unsure what you meant by attaching the finished product, when apparently all you had to do was estimate the hours it would take to finish the job, but if you actually did the work & sent it, then human nature being what it is, some clients will take advantage and maybe make an excuse about hiring someone else, and get away scot free, unless you can do something like file a DMCA notice.

Raymond M wrote:

8:24 PM Friday Night i get an invite from **Edited for Community Guidelines**

with specs asking i detail the no of hours it would take "I am making my decision on Monday"...
10AM Sat: I respond, attach the finished product

Why on earth would you do such a thing?
• Work for free.

• Assume you would win the contract.

• Treat a statement of intention as some kind of pledge or promise, and assume that the intention has anything to do with you, or isn't subject to the vagaries of business and life?

Is there more that you haven't told us?

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

You're not from around here, I can tell.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Raymond:

This was your very first post in the Community Forum.

Coming here for the first time can be a rocky experience. The Forum has its own tenor and vibe and it doesn't necessarily match up to what you have experienced anywhere else.

You're also new to Upwork. Upwork has its own way of doing things.

If you feel delighted or surprised or disgusted or shocked or impressed or attacked or confused... that's okay! That's normal.

Don't take it personally. You made mistakes. Not a big deal. Every person who comes to Upwork and/or the Forum makes mistakes at first.

To answer your specific quesion:

Are all clients dishonest?

No. Most Upwork clients are great.

But here are millions of Upwork users, and unfortunately there are some clients who are dishonest and there are some freelancers who are dishonest. (Just like in your hometown, by the way.)

Perhaps a more important question here is:

Was this client dishonest?

No, he wasn't dishonest.

You didn't use the tool correctly. Not a big deal. The important thing is that you learn from your mistakes and don't make those same mistakes again.

If you have questions or if there is something that still doesn't make sense, just ask.

JoanneP

Hi Raymond,

You will need to have an active contract before submitting any completed work to the client. In this case, it looks like the client hired another freelancer for the job; however, he has not updated the job status yet. Clients are encouraged to update the status of their job post once they hire a freelancer, though, some clients keep their job posts open if they are looking to hire two or more freelancers. I recommend that you please read through the freelancer section of this thread for more information. If you have any questions, please let us know. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
michelle-trevino
Community Member

I'm confused about why you are upset with the client. They clearly said they were going to make a decision on Monday about who would get the contract and only asked you how many hours it would take to complete the project based on their specs. It doesn't sound like they asked you to do any work or complete the project but you did anyway.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members