🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: closing a contract
Page options
sadia_34
Community Member

closing a contract

Can someone please explain to me what happens to the amount in escrow if I close a contract? Will it refund and the client gets his money back if I don't dispute? Would closing a contract without payment affect my JSS?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can someone please explain to me what happens to the amount in escrow if I close a contract? Will it refund and the client gets his money back if I don't dispute? Would closing a contract without payment affect my JSS?"

Sadia:

You may close a fixed-price contract at any time, for any reason. Nobody can stop you from doing so.

If you are a freelancer, closing the contract on your own means that all money in escrow is returned automatically to the client.

if you are a client, closing a fixed-price contract means that you either:

- release all escrow money to the freelancer

[or]

- ask the freelancer to refund the escrow money to you (something the freelancer needs to agree to).

Thank you, Preston. Will my Jss decrease if I close the contract as a freelancer?

petra_r
Community Member

Sadia A wrote:

Thank you, Preston. Will my Jss decrease if I close the contract as a freelancer?

Yes, if the client leave poor or no feedback on a contract that had no earnings at all it will hit your JSS. Upwork (not surprisingly) does not like "0 paid" contracts.

Why do you want to close the contract without getting your money?

sadia_34
Community Member

Petra, it's related to my other post regarding 0% fee for brining new clients. The  firm I brougth to Upwork is no longer interested in using upworks service.

petra_r
Community Member

Sadia A wrote:

Petra, it's related to my other post regarding 0% fee for brining new clients. The  firm I brougth to Upwork is no longer interested in using upworks service.

Sigh.... get the client to close the contract - if it hits your JSS, just use your perk if you sill have it available.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members