cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: client involved in some fraudulent activity, so upwork refunded reversed all his payment?

aredae1992
Ace Contributor
Ahmed Reda E Member Since: Apr 16, 2018
1 of 19

a few hours back, one of my contracts were put on hold and then terminated right after, 
I checked the clients jobs and they were all terminated. 

- why could that be?
- are any of my tracked hours subject to payment reversal?
- will this affect my JSS?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 19

@Ahmed Reda E wrote:

a few hours back, one of my contracts were put on hold and then terminated right after, 
I checked the clients jobs and they were all terminated. 

1) - why could that be?
2) - are any of my tracked hours subject to payment reversal?
3) - will this affect my JSS?

Sounds like the client did something not quite in line with Upwork's terms of service...

1) Client suspended

2) Were they tracked with the tracker, had meaningful work memos (!) and decent activity levels? (ALL of those?)

3) Nope, contracts with suspended clients are excluded from the JSS calculation

aredae1992
Ace Contributor
3 of 19

All my hours were certainly logged with the tracker, and they all have more than decent activities,
I wasn't writing memos as much thou... 

but I have been working with the client for 3 weeks now ( over 60 hours ). are all of these hours subject to reversal or just this week. ( I mean some are pending - not in review - and some already landing in my account. )

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 19

@Ahmed Reda E wrote:

All my hours were certainly logged with the tracker, and they all have more than decent activities,
I wasn't writing memos as much thou... 

but I have been working with the client for 3 weeks now ( over 60 hours ). are all of these hours subject to reversal or just this week. ( I mean some are pending - not in review - and some already landing in my account. )

It depends.

In a best case szenario the client fixes whatever the problem is and normal work commences.

In a worst case szenario you might lose payment for some or all hours that were not logged strictly in line with the protection. (No memo = no protection)

I would take a deep breath, ask the client what is going on and then wait. Nothing you can do about it anyway.

aredae1992
Ace Contributor
5 of 19

that would be, my third payment refersal on upwork, is that normal ???
I didn't even pay upwork my last 500$ chargeback yet. !!!

petra_r
Community Guru
6 of 19

@Ahmed Reda E wrote:

that would be, my third payment refersal on upwork, is that normal ???
I didn't even pay upwork my last 500$ chargeback yet. !!!

No, it is not normal.  I have never had one and I've had 10 x as any jobs.

You were either incredibly unlucky or you need to vet your clients more carefully.

I have to say though, after 2 reversals I am in shock that you didn't bother to protect yourself by logging your time completely in line with the protection. If you had, we would not be having this conversation now.

aredae1992
Ace Contributor
7 of 19

Man Sad

I didn't think memos matter that much, anyway I hope upwork responds with more details about the issue soon. 

thank you Petra,  

aredae1992
Ace Contributor
8 of 19

I have been working with  a client for a couple of weeks, then all of a sudden upwork puts our contract on hold, then right after terminates it, a few days later, all payments were reversed back to the client.

upwork support explained nothing but since client was involved in some fraudulent activity, we had to suspend him and reverse all payment.

- how do I make sense of this, ( we caught him stealing so we gave him all your money (1000$+)) ?
- does upwrok have the right to do so, can't find anyting on their TOS?
- upwork  hasn't expalined why am I not eligible for upwork hourly protection!!

- client contacted me explaining that he did nothing wrong what so ever, saying it might be an ip address probelm, he also mentioned that I was the only one that's been refunded ( he has some fixed priced contracts as well as some houlry ). 

joanbonjoc
Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
9 of 19

Hi Ahmed,

I see you already had an open ticket on this concern. Please post any questions you have on that ticket thread. Thanks.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
aredae1992
Ace Contributor
10 of 19

Hi  Jo-An B
they take literally days to reply, and when they do it's the same exact template.

due to out TOS and privacy policy we can't do such and such, we are very sorry. 

no informations what so ever ... 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS