Did you mean: 

crisis

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 13

Amanda L wrote:

Marc C wrote:

- The fee is huge, in my opinion, and the chances of lowering them look very narrow.

I think this is pretty good perspective for a newbie except your take on fees. You'd spend a lot more than 20% trying to find clients if you couldn't use Upwork and had to advertise and cold call on your own.

It's also "only" 20% on the first $500. I think of the fee as being 10% with a $50 finder's fee. But then my clients tend to mostly stick around long term.

The (vast) majority of my income is at 10%, and I have 3 clients approaching the magic 10k when it drops to 5%. It gets really, REALLY sweet at that point.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
12 of 13
Same, I get to 10% within a week if not sooner. But many newbies and depending on someone's field, they may find they are often at 20%. And still that's not a bad cut.
marc_compte
Ace Contributor
Marc C Member Since: Apr 21, 2021
13 of 13

Yes, you are right. My take on fees is strongly biased. I am a newbie at Upwork, but I've been working in my field for more than 20 years and I've been freelancing for 10.

I have just been lucky enough to barely need any advertising and I've never done cold calls, because I already had some few contacts from my previous (non-freelancing) jobs that would hire me.

I tend to forget my bias and I compare this to what I have outside Upwork, but I can see this is not the general rule.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS