cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deadline is tom, but client not responding.

gurjeetkalsi
Community Leader
Gurjeet S Member Since: May 18, 2020
1 of 29

A client approached for a close deadline project, the deadline was not mentioned earlier in the job. but anyways we took it and start working on it, but since this morning the client is not giving feedback nor replying and the deadline is for Friday. I have requested him a day before to extend the deadline since creative thing does require time but the reply I got was a bit rude, so we ignore to reply him on that but started working on the new concepts.

till now I have given ample options and he was not sure of anything.. since today morning I supplied the new concepts but no reply from the client.

And I am afraid of getting a dent on my JSS if the client never comes back to this portal.
What best I can do to avoid hitting my JSS?

Kindly guide!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 29

You are the freelancer. This is not your project. So if there are any deadlines, they are the client's deadlines.

Clients are not obligated to reply to freelancers.

If you have an hourly contract, you will be paid for all of your time. It does not matter if the client responds to you.

If you have a fixed-price contract, then you submit your work. It does not matter if the client replies or does anything. If the client does nothing, you get paid for your work automatically.

If the deadline is Friday, and if you need the client to tell you red or blue by Friday... but she doesn't... then that is her responsibility. The client is intelligent. She knows that.

If a deadline is truly important, then the client is checking on things regularly to make sure everything is done by the deadline... just as you would do if you were the client.

re: "And I am afraid of getting a dent on my JSS if the client never comes back to this portal."

Submit your work when it is done.

If the client never comes back to the portal, the money will be released to you automatically. After that, you will close the contract. Your JSS will be fine.

re: "What best I can do to avoid hitting my JSS?"

Just do your best for the client, but don't try to impose your schedule on the client. If she does not want to respond, then don't pester her.

If you ask her red or blue and she doesn't respond, then go with blue and submit the work. Then you get paid and close the contract.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 29

Preston H wrote:

her... she...

Why do you insist on calling a male client "her" and "she?"

gurjeetkalsi
Community Leader
4 of 29

Thanks, Preston,

your valuable inputs and replies really released my tension about JSS.

Grateful to you. Smiley Happy

the client is 'male' just for information Smiley Happy

gurjeetkalsi
Community Leader
5 of 29

I have supplied 19 different options (almost 10 more, after he replied this late evening), based on his inputs. He is rejecting every time with words like 'too simple' or 'not unique'. not ready to come on Upwork call or anything for deeper understanding, neither providing mood board. Not a single element he found that It can be taken as the first benchmark and can be taken further for refinement. the project is fixed cost and I have spent almost 10x of my time as per my hourly rate, and I am still ready to work but I can't read minds of clients... by saying that 'not unique' is not the solution... design is a subjective thing and everyone has their own visualization with each word.

How to deal with unreasonable clients in such situations? My concern is not about money but JSS.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 29

This is what I would do:

Tell the client:

"Gene:

Thank you for your notes. At this time I have completed the original agreed-upon task. I would be happy to continue working on the project using an hourly contract or a new fixed-price contract. But first I would need you to close the current contract."

I do not let clients abuse my time like this. Clients should respect fixed-price contracts and use them as intended. Clients should not treat them as permission to force freelancers into indentured servitude.

If a client goes off the rails like this with a fixed-price contract, then I give them the opportunity to close the contract (which means releasing the escrow money to me) and start an hourly contract with me.

If the client doesn't do so, then I will close the contract myself and keep the work for myself.

This is not a "negotiation."

The client may close the contract and release payment to me. Or not. If the client does not do so, then the client loses the most valuable element in this entire arrangement: access to my services.

When a client abuses a fixed-price contract situation like this, the person that is harmed most is the client. Nobody's project benefits by having people work on it who resent being there.

As a freelancer, if you sincerely want to help the client, you need to help him use the Upwork system properly.

gurjeetkalsi
Community Leader
7 of 29

thanks for the guidance Smiley Happy .. and I am grateful to you and many others who are guiding freelancers like me by investing your valuable time on upwork.

Thanks Again.
Gurjeet

gurjeetkalsi
Community Leader
8 of 29

after that request for a new hourly contract.
The client ended the contract without communication and asking for a 100% refund.

If I won't earn a single $ at least my JSS will go down, how can I avoid this...

we all really work hard to maintain our JSS, but just because of one unreasonable client, all goes in vain.

Can I approach to Upwork team for this?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 29

Gurjeet S wrote:

after that request for a new hourly contract.
The client ended the contract without communication and asking for a 100% refund.Can I approach to Upwork team for this?

No, you can't and it is unfortunate that you listened to such profile-damaging advice.

If the work was done, deny the refund request and negotiate with the client. The damage to your JSS is already done, it was done when the client left feedback (assuming that the feedback wasn't great.)

gurjeetkalsi
Community Leader
10 of 29

why can't freelancers flag such clients' profiles and those profiles must be banned forever so that others won't get such unreasonable clients.

I sincerely request to Upwork team that, JSS must not hit just because of one clients' feedback that too when he is asking a refund after using services. this protocol needs some amendments I believe.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS