Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dealing with tricky clients

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
BEST ANSWER
11 of 18

You may want to spend a little time perusing the Help section to learn the ins and outs of getting paid. There, you will learn (among other things) that on fixed-price contracts you will be paid the amount in escrow for the milestone 14 days after you request it or when the client actively approves payment, whichever comes first.

There's nothing "tricky" about a client who leaves payment to the automatic process. Personally, I would never risk pestering a client who had given me repeat business, just because I had not heard from them for a while.

There's a wealth of knowledge, experience and advice available in this forum. Most successful, experienced FLs here know more about the platform than a lot of UW's frontline CS reps. And the answers often come faster. Along with this support, you often get unsolicited commentary and it's seldom sugar-coated. Especially when someone comes in with a question that demonstrates pretty clearly they haven't bothered to learn the basics of the platform (which you did), it's an invitation to plain-spoken feedback. 

View solution in original post

hoyle_editing
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
12 of 18

Thank you everybody for your comments - i had no idea payments were automatic on fixed price after 14 days - i always assumed the client had to 'release' the payment!! - I have actually read an uwful lot on the Upwork help pages, but this  bit i must of skipped over slightly, as i thought i understood the system quite well (clearly not as well as i thought)

thanks for all the messages, i will leave it to a waiting game now (I guess i just assumed that as i would never personally publicly use work that i had not yet paid for that it should not be done)

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 18

Jonathan H wrote:

Thank you everybody for your comments - i had no idea payments were automatic on fixed price after 14 days - i always assumed the client had to 'release' the payment!! - I have actually read an uwful lot on the Upwork help pages, but this  bit i must of skipped over slightly,

You may find this cheatsheet useful

"Where is my money?""Where is my money?"

m_sharman
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
14 of 18

Petra, I seriously don't know why Upwork doesn't just pin your graphic to the Freelancer Info pages...sigh

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
15 of 18

Miriam H wrote:

Petra, I seriously don't know why Upwork doesn't just pin your graphic to the Freelancer Info pages...sigh

They haven't paid for it. Smiley Wink

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 18

Phyllis G wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

They haven't paid for it. Smiley Wink

They do have written permission to use it as they see fit.

This widget could not be displayed.
17 of 18
This widget could not be displayed.

Miriam H wrote:

Because they never search for the answer before they post. Come on, you know this. hehe

m_sharman
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
18 of 18

Cairenn R wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

Because they never search for the answer before they post. Come on, you know this. hehe

Totally - meant the Upwork Mods should pin this as a topic - "How do I get paid" - maybe they (the mods) just enjoy reading the responses too much Smiley Happy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS