cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

defrauded by a client

Highlighted
Wiktoria S Member Since: Jun 22, 2016
1 of 16

I've been working on brochure for a client and I have been defrauded. The Client **Edited for Community Guidelines** paid hour rate for the first few hours, and paused my contract saying that I will be able to bill him manually after I will send the "right" version (after he saw first draft). Now when I sent him project done, he doesn't respond. It's been 3 weeks now and my contract is paused. I cannot be paid obviously. It's disappointing and doesn't make me want to use Upwork anymore. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
2 of 16
Yeah, this is why I never do manual time. I really like using the time tracker app and keeping detailed memos so that my work is protected. Also, you need to take off the link to your portfolio on your profile as it violates the TOS and could get your account flagged.
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 16

Hi Wiktoria,

I'm sorry about your experience on this contract, but I see that you received and read Upwork's notification that
you will be unable to log time on this contract until the client restarts it. I also see that you discussed this with your client but unfortunately decided to proceed with working on the paused contract.

Since no time was logged, Upwork can't ensure your payment for the time spent working after the contract was paused. Please communicate with your client and discuss payment directly with them. Our team will follow up on the ticket you created at the same time you posted your comment here, so you can ask them to reach out to your client as well.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 16

Wiktoria:

I believe that this client successfully tricked you.

The good news is that you will not make the same mistake again.

I can not tell you what you should do, but I will tell you what I would do:

I would close the contract, marking it as completed successfully. Because it was.

The work I did belongs to me, because the client did not pay for it.

I would make a few alterations to the brochure so that the name of the business and contact information are changed. Then I would post the brochure in my portfolio.

Then I would no longer think about the project. Time to move on. If the cient contacted me again in any way, to ask for changes, new work, help, ask questions, etc. I would be polite, but I would not do anything until he paid me.

"Jarod: Thanks for you note. Yes, I would be happy to help with that. You can use the client-side interface to pay me $XX.00 using the Pay Bonus feature, so that our contract is all caught up. As soon as that is done, I'll go ahead and do that. The previous contract is closed now, but if you want to open a new contract, then you can create and I'll accept after payment for the previous work has been processed."

But I would not hold my breath. I think the client is gone for good.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
5 of 16

Wiktoria,

Usually when I am doing copywriting for someone, I allow them ONE change free of charge and I make that quite clear from the beginning. Any other changes you charge x-amount of dollars for, depending on how extensive the changes are.

And yeah, you probably should use the time-tracker. I personally don't like it and have never been nailed by not using it. But when you are writing, you probably should; as that is what others are recommending.

Oh, and definately put it in your portfolio - no pay means it is still yours.

(I had a guy hire me to 1000 listings, which were harder to find than I thought. He kept changing his mind on what states he wanted, how he wanted it formated, names he did/did not want, etc. until he pared it down to only the mid-west.) Huh? The original job was for all 50 states and Canada. It took me days to find what he wanted by a certain deadline. I gave him what I had when the deadline came. I told him he could pay me whatever he thought was fair.

Well, what'd you know, he re-hired me to get the rest saying "I didn't realize how hard it would be to get these..." So I worked a bit more for him. And got 5stars for both jobs. So it worked out ok and to be frank, I couldn't have been more happy the assignment was over...!

So, let this one go. We all learn better from (ahem) duplitious people than we do from the really nice ones. I'd consider this: Lesson Learned.

Good luck with future assignments!

Marianne

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 16

You're playing with fire by saying "pay me what you think is fair." If anything goes into dispute cuz he thinks "fair" is five bucks, you auto lose because you just told the guy to pay you whatever he wants.

Think.

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 16

I don't think I lost at all. I was not able to meet his deadline and I agree to it, not realizing how often he was going to change his mind, what states he wanted and other concerns. I have done this with other clients, and if they are not happy with my work, I don't expect to be paid, althought this has never happened with any other of my jobs. Politness and humility goes a long way.

It works for me.

Marianne

And if a client so chooses to not pay me at all because I did not fullfil my end of the contract then so be it. It's the way I roll. Stupid to you I'm sure. But it's the way I do business.

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
8 of 16

@Marianne M wrote:

I don't think I lost at all. I was not able to meet his deadline and I agree to it, not realizing how often he was going to change his mind, what states he wanted and other concerns. I have done this with other clients, and if they are not happy with my work, I don't expect to be paid, althought this has never happened with any other of my jobs. Politness and humility goes a long way.

It works for me.

Marianne

And if a client so chooses to not pay me at all because I did not fullfil my end of the contract then so be it. It's the way I roll. Stupid to you I'm sure. But it's the way I do business.

Marianne,

Just a bit of advice.  You need to change your profile picture before your account gets flagged.  It doesn't conform with ToS guidelines.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Leader
9 of 16

Thanks I will. Geesh, I don't see why that photo isn't good enough. But I'll see if I can find something else.

Thanks for the advice...,

Marianne

Highlighted
Community Leader
10 of 16

Is that a better photo?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS