defrauded by a client

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
11 of 16

@Marianne M wrote:

Is that a better photo?

Yes!!  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
12 of 16

I don't know why, but I just don't want anyone to know what I look like. Weird, I realize, but it seems like an invasion of privacy somehow.

But thanks for saying it is an okay photo, you're very kind.

M~~

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 16

@Marianne M wrote:

Is that a better photo?

MUCH!

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 16

@Marianne M wrote:

I don't think I lost at all. I was not able to meet his deadline and I agree to it, not realizing how often he was going to change his mind, what states he wanted and other concerns. I have done this with other clients, and if they are not happy with my work, I don't expect to be paid, althought this has never happened with any other of my jobs. Politness and humility goes a long way.

It works for me.

Marianne

And if a client so chooses to not pay me at all because I did not fullfil my end of the contract then so be it. It's the way I roll. Stupid to you I'm sure. But it's the way I do business.

"Changing their minds" puts them out of scope and it's no longer your fault. You can work on a new deadline based on new info but you're not responsible for a deadline when he changes his mind.

If you do any amount of volume on the site, I'll tell you now that telling people to pay you whatever they think is fair is going to bite you in the butt unless you're cool with being broke and screwed out of money. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
15 of 16

I technically thought I had to meet his deadlines, despite all his changes. Had I known that I would have said something. Gawd, sometimes I wonder... Smiley Frustrated

Thanks, I guess I won't do that anymore.

M (who's really not cool with being broke and out of money)

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 16

No, you estimate your time based on the description he gives you. If he tells you to pull 100 companies from the Internet targeting healthcare and then in the middle of the project says "Oh, you know I think I want to do 100 IT companies instead" then this is a change in scope and you're no longer tied to the deadline. You can say "No problem, it will take me x time at y price." 

Your time is valuable. You should be paid for the work you do for anyone. My rule of thumb is if I gotta sit here and do your poop when I'd rather being playing Warcraft, then you're gonna pay me. Smiley Very Happy

But seriously, be careful telling randoms on the internet to pay you whatever they think is fair. It puts you in a situation where you will get that **Edited for Community Guidelines** who will tell you "cool! I think I'll throw you five bucks" and bail.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS