Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difficult to understand client is female or male

Ace Contributor
Vinod M Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
1 of 21

Hello,

This might sound silly but I guess many freelancers have faced this. some times when I approach a new client I find it difficult to identify the client is male or female. So during chatting with client first time on message many times, I will be unknown that the person is male or female. I know we can identify this by the name and profile pic but not the all-time client set their own profile pic and it might be logo or couples photo. In the case of name, Not all names are familiar with us to identify its male or female. We are familiar with common names like John, Smith, Peter, Lynda, etc but not with all the names.

So here I suggest to Upwork that they should display Mr/Ms in front of client name which will help a lot to avoid awkward impression on the client while approaching the client. 

If someone knows any other way to find this out then please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Vinod

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 21

Vinod M wrote:

This might sound silly but I guess many freelancers have faced this. some times when I approach a new client I find it difficult to identify the client is male or female. So during chatting with client first time on message many times, I will be unknown that the person is male or female.

Why in the world would it matter?

Vinod M wrote:

... will help a lot to avoid awkward impression on the client while approaching the client. 

What "awkward impression?" - How would you approach a client any differently if you knew the gender?

Ace Contributor
3 of 21

Hello Petra,

Thank you for your reply. Let's take your example to understand the situation, Consider that your profile has some kind of logo than your own pic. If in the project where the need of a couple of freelancers and If I have to introduce them with the client then it's difficult to use he/she word in the message while talking about the client in the group chat. Hope it makes sense. 

Community Guru
4 of 21

Vinod M wrote:

Hello Petra,

Consider that your profile has some kind of logo than your own pic. If in the project where the need of a couple of freelancers and If I have to introduce them with the client then it's difficult to use he/she word in the message while talking about the client in the group chat. Hope it makes sense. 

If you really ever need to know, you could consider asking? Or googling the name?

In all honesty, in all my years here I have never needed this and can't see how I ever would.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 21

Vinod M wrote:

Hello Petra,

Thank you for your reply. Let's take your example to understand the situation, Consider that your profile has some kind of logo than your own pic. If in the project where the need of a couple of freelancers and If I have to introduce them with the client then it's difficult to use he/she word in the message while talking about the client in the group chat. Hope it makes sense. 

Just use the name, then. 

Ace Contributor
6 of 21

Martina P wrote:

Vinod M wrote:

Hello Petra,

Just use the name, then. 

Yes, we can use a name or call "client" but doing this repeatedly in the 3-4 sentence is not a good practice I guess. Usually, we replace it with he/she in further sentences. Anyways Upwork may consider this cause it's not a big change to do for them.

Community Leader
Prachi T Member Since: Nov 4, 2017
7 of 21

You can always use 'they' if you are unsure of the gender. That's not awkward at all.

What's awkward is having Ms. Pat or Mr. Pat being written on the profiles. Too formal and totally not required.

ETA: Also, binary segregation such as Mr and Ms would be quite inappropriate too, considering that we live in a world where the gender boundaries are blurring.

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
8 of 21

Prachi T wrote:

You can always use 'they' if you are unsure of the gender. That's not awkward at all.

This.

Community Guru
9 of 21

Vinod M wrote:

Anyways Upwork may consider this cause it's not a big change to do for them.

I would bet a week's wine on it that they won't.

Soon a mod will pop along with "Thank you for your feedback, I will make sure to share it with the team!"

Then it will get shared with the team and the team will go "Hell, no."

business-commerce-suggestions_box-suggestion-bin-trash-rubbish-jman122_low

Ace Contributor
10 of 21

Petra R wrote:

Vinod M wrote:

Anyways Upwork may consider this cause it's not a big change to do for them.

I would bet a week's wine on it that they won't.

Soon a mod will pop along with "Thank you for your feedback, I will make sure to share it with the team!"

Then it will get shared with the team and the team will go "Hell, no."

business-commerce-suggestions_box-suggestion-bin-trash-rubbish-jman122_low

We never know what happens, I think they will at least discuss this.

eg.png

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS