🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » direct contract vs bring your own client
Page options
orcio
Community Member

direct contract vs bring your own client

Hi,

What are the differences between a direct contract vs bring your own client?

And regarding the payment. The person who is creating a client profile is not the owner of the credit card (somebody from another department will pay) Will this be an issue?

The last time I used BYOC I was on a subscription plan, now I'm on the free plan, is there any difference?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Bring Your Own Client

Direct Contract
Client Fee: 3%Client Fee: 0%
Freelancer Fee: 0%Freelancer Fee: 3.4%
Feedback on profile: YesFeedback on profile: No
Effect on JSS: YesEffect on JSS: No
Contract visible on profile: YesContract visible on profile: No
Hourly paid after work doneHourly charged in advance
Link needed to get 0%No link needed

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Horacio,

To learn more about direct contracts, check out this Help Article. Regarding the payment method, your client should not have any problems. If any problems arise they can reach out to us here or our Customer support so that we can assist them further.

Your membership plan will not affect the option to use your Bring Your Own Client link. Only Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers can use the Bring Your Own Client feature. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks, but the article does not mention anything related to costs or hourly contracts

BYOC will cost a 0% fee from my side, and my client got charged how much?

And how is it on a direct hourly contract? cost for me and my client.

Should I make a payment request or it will be automatic after tracking the hours?

The last time I used BYOC (Sep 2019) I requested a link and have to complete a few steps like sending the contract to a special UpWork email address. Is this process still the same? Now I see a button "invite client" with a link. Is this an improvement on BYOC experience, or is it anything else?

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Horacio,

Freelancers are charged a 3.4% payment processing fee. For example, if your earnings are $100 you’ll be charged a payment processing fee of $3.40 USD. You are not charged a freelancer service fee, only the 3.4%. Clients also are not charged any fees.  The cost to clients is zero -- they only pay the cost of the project.

To learn more about how you can set up hourly contracts with our Direct contracts feature, check out our announcement post Here. The process for BYOC is still the same as well, it looks like you`re referring to setting up Direct contracts. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Bring Your Own Client

Direct Contract
Client Fee: 3%Client Fee: 0%
Freelancer Fee: 0%Freelancer Fee: 3.4%
Feedback on profile: YesFeedback on profile: No
Effect on JSS: YesEffect on JSS: No
Contract visible on profile: YesContract visible on profile: No
Hourly paid after work doneHourly charged in advance
Link needed to get 0%No link needed
hanamke
Community Member

Lately, my direct contract clients have been asked to pay a 3% fee. Did the regulations change?

Hi Hana,

Thanks for your question. Yes, we are asking clients who start new Direct Contracts to begin paying a small processing fee on the payments they make to their freelancer(s).

~ Nikola
Upwork
c778ffb3
Community Member

Hey there,

I used Upwork direct contract for the 1st time. my client asked for a 3% fee and also asked for I.d verification. can you please guide me on what to do for I.D Verification?

Mosadaq H wrote:

Hey there,

I used Upwork direct contract for the 1st time. my client asked for a 3% fee and also asked for I.d verification. can you please guide me on what to do for I.D Verification?

You should do neither of those. 

It used to be a 0% charge for the clients & that is why I was able to bring a lot of new clients and did business with them using the direct contract service. But because they are now asked a 3% fee, some clients are refusing to do business with me or I'm having to minus the 3% from the actual price!!

861542d0
Community Member

Hi Petra, Where can I proceed with the option to bring my own client?

Hi Germán,

I understand that you are interested to bring your client to Upwork. I'm happy to let you know that I've shared your account details with the team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly with your unique link and more information about the program. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths