🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: dispute dark matter
Page options
amrkhafagi
Community Member

dispute dark matter

still till now can't know when exactly upwork can't help client for any dispute, mediation,... anything, I saw alot of people tell us upwork permit clients to dispute after the dispute period

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Amr K wrote:

still till now can't know when exactly upwork can't help client for any dispute, mediation,... anything, I saw alot of people tell us upwork permit clients to dispute after the dispute period

The dispute period is 30 days from when payment was released to the freelancer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Amr K wrote:

The dispute period is 30 days from when payment was released to the freelancer.

friday, right?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork has a defined period of time during which clients can file disputes, different for fixed-price contracts (1 month after contract has closed) versus hourly contracts (clients can dispute time logged within the week after time has been logged).

Disputes are a bad idea.

Don't get into a dispute.

Does that answer your question?

Preston H wrote:

....versus hourly contracts (clients can dispute time logged within the week after time has been logged).

It is 30 days for hourly as well.

so why i see some people complaining that their clients dispute after 30 days and even contract ends?

Amr K wrote:

so why i see some people complaining that their clients dispute after 30 days and even contract ends?

Where? You do understand that this is the Internet and not everything on the Internet is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, right?

Clients can ask for a refund later than 30 days, which the freelancer can decline to provide.

Clients can also file a chargeback.

I've never had a client dispute or ask for any money back though. It should be a very rare occurrence.

re: "so why i see some people complaining that their clients dispute after 30 days and even contract ends?"

After the 30 day period is over, a client can not file a formal dispute.

But I have seen reports in the Forum of freelancers who received requests for refunds after longer periods of time have passed.

At that point... the client has no real power at all.

A freelancer could politely decline. And there isn't anything a client could do.

Unless they go the extreme measure of filing a chargeback with their credit card company. Which is a violation of Upwork ToS, and they could lose their Upwork account. But it IS possible for a client to do a credit card chargeback after more than 30 days, which could result in a freelancer losing their earnings from that client.

That's not the same thing as a dispute, of course.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths