sonuvaibhav16

dispute

My clients asked me to logical implementaion or build app server for firebase ? We agreed for $400 . In his job posting he didn't mention about upload code on github . After submitting project he asked for documentation, I write documentation and give to him . Instead of releasing payment he continously asking me upload code on github. I upload code on my github . After that he continously asking me upload code on his reposotories .even i did that . Again he asking to upload on git branch and other changes . I keep on doing but suddenly he paid me half the amount and said i abonded task . Upload code on github was not mention in job posting but he forcing me to do that . I asked me to see code logics he said i don't have time . I asked ot test the code , he didn't test the code and give me half amount.

I am in dilemma should i file for dispute because he might leave negative review about me 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fixed Price Contracts works best when the 'scope of work' is well defined. Sometimes the client is of the opinion that some work are implied and would be done by the frelancer.The freelancer may or may not be on same page.

Communication is the key.Finding expectation and clearly letting the client know what you will deliver is necessary.

In any case,  Paying less than agreed is wrong, if the agreed work had been done.Trying to get free work is unethical and a violation of ToS.

If the communication does not work, in all possibility you will get bad reviews.You have an option to reply there.

I do not think anyone should leave money for stars.I am a client and so i may not fully understand the importance of them for the the freelancer .My appologies for that.You also have an option to refund the money.The work then legally belongs to you.

I do not know about arbitration but from What i read it  seems like a time wasting and expensive thing to do for the amount involved.That's just my opinion though

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
lysis10

oh you got this one in the bag. Tell him to release the other $200 and you won't go into arbitration, saving him $91.

He is not releasing another $200. Do you know how much time it take to solve dispute . Because i am going to file for dispute

@Vaibhav K wrote:

He is not releasing another $200. Do you know how much time it take to solve dispute . Because i am going to file for dispute

They say it can take up to 30 days IIRC. Mine was done in two weeks.

sonuvaibhav16

My clients asked me to logical implementaion or build app server for firebase ? We agreed for $400 . In his job posting he didn't mention about upload code on github . After submitting project he asked for documentation, I write documentation and give to him . Instead of releasing payment he continously asking me upload code on github. I upload code on my github . After that he continously asking me upload code on his reposotories .even i did that . Again he asking to upload on git branch and other changes . I keep on doing but suddenly he paid me half the amount and said i abonded task . Upload code on github was not mention in job posting but he forcing me to do that . I asked him to see code logics he said i don't have time . I asked ot test the code , he didn't test the code and give me half amount.

I am in dilemma should i file for dispute because he might leave negative review about me 

Vaibhav: You posted this same post in another thread. Please do not do that. It is a violation of Forum guidelines.

I am worried about his reviews ? May be he give me bad reviews

@Vaibhav K wrote:

I am worried about his reviews ? May be he give me bad reviews

Is the contract still active or has it been ended / closed?

If the contract has been ended, the feedback thing has already happened anyway.

Please remember that disputes take time, and if the whole thing can not be resolved in mediation, the only way to resolve it is to go to arbitration, which will cost you (and the client, and upwork) nearly $ 300 (which you won't get back even if you win, and have to pay in advance.)

sorry . I misspelled some words that's why i repost it . I want to know what if client give me bad review? I am worried about that

Fixed Price Contracts works best when the 'scope of work' is well defined. Sometimes the client is of the opinion that some work are implied and would be done by the frelancer.The freelancer may or may not be on same page.

Communication is the key.Finding expectation and clearly letting the client know what you will deliver is necessary.

In any case,  Paying less than agreed is wrong, if the agreed work had been done.Trying to get free work is unethical and a violation of ToS.

If the communication does not work, in all possibility you will get bad reviews.You have an option to reply there.

I do not think anyone should leave money for stars.I am a client and so i may not fully understand the importance of them for the the freelancer .My appologies for that.You also have an option to refund the money.The work then legally belongs to you.

I do not know about arbitration but from What i read it  seems like a time wasting and expensive thing to do for the amount involved.That's just my opinion though

@Vivek K wrote:

Yeah, this is pretty much the truth. 

katrinabeaver

To be honest if the client is acting like this, you're probably not going to get an awesome review anyway. So I would dispute it. At least you should get paid for what you did. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Thanks for reply 

This is firrst time happeneing to me . I don't know how much time it take for dispute to solve ? How long this procedure can takes ? I don't want months long procedure

prestonhunter

Vaibhav: I read your post carefully.

The client was gracious to pay you half.

Accept it gratefully.

Do not dispute.

This was not a good match between freelancer and client.

Vaibhav, you're right to worry about bad feedback, and disputing probably guarantees you will receive bad feedback, but if you don't dispute, you may still get bad feedback. Either way, if the client leaves bad feedback, you can respond to it by explaining what happened, and clients who look at your profile might understand that you were the victim of an unreasonable client. But honestly, I'm not sure which would be better, disputing or not disputing.