cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dual upworkers invited on a project

techdraws
Brad M Member Since: Apr 24, 2017
1 of 9

First time poster with good freelancer track record. 

My financials were suspended after a client (who paid and was fine) invited me to work together with another freelancer. It was somewhat irritating but it worked out. Is this practice acceptable? Or has it happened to others? 

I provided all screenshots etc. and cooperated but still suspended....Thanks in advance.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

Brad:

I do not fully understand what you are trying to tell us, but I will try explain my understanding. Feel free to confirm my understanding is correct or clarify.

You are saying that a client set up a single Upwork contract.

He then asked you and one other freelancer to log into the same Upwork freelancer account to work on that contract.

The client asked you and the other freelancer to use the same username and password.

This is not acceptable at all. This is a serious violation of Upwork policy. It violates one of their three most sacred rules, and the normal way that Upwork would deal with this would be to suspend or terminate all parties involved.

techdraws
3 of 9

Not at all. The client invited another freelancer into the chat area. No usernames or passwords exchanged....

Thanks

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 9

re: "Not at all. The client invited another freelancer into the chat area. No usernames or passwords exchanged."

Brad: Thank you for clarifying what happened.

In your original post you noted that a "client... invited me to work together with another freelancer. It was somewhat irritating but it worked out. Is this practice acceptable?"

Are you asking if there was a problem because you collaborated with other people?

There's nothing wrong with that.

About half of the projects I work on involve direct collaborations with more than one person other than just myself and the client.

There are often other freelancers working on the same project.

There are often multiple people representing the client's side. Sometimes they are other project owners, or partners, or project managers. They may interact with me through the Upwork messaging tool, or through email.

I'm not sure what you think the problem was. All of this is normal.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
5 of 9

@Preston H wrote:

re: "Not at all. The client invited another freelancer into the chat area. No usernames or passwords exchanged."

Brad: Thank you for clarifying what happened.

Are you asking if there was a problem because you collaborated with other people?

There's nothing wrong with that.

About half of the projects I work on involve direct collaborations with more than one person other than just myself and the client.

There are often other freelancers working on the same project.

There are often multiple people representing the client's side. Sometimes they are other project owners, or partners, or project managers. They may interact with me through the Upwork messaging tool, or through email.

I'm not sure what you think the problem was. All of this is normal.

This causes me to believe something was stated in the messaging that Upwork found as a possible TOS violation?

Just an estimated guess...

techdraws
6 of 9

Must have been....thanks for the reponses.

Good to know that collaborations are normal.

Brad

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 9

Hi Brad,

Sorry to hear your account is suspended. I can confirm it's not related to your collaboration with another freelancer hired by the client. We won't be able to share details here but I see that the team is communicating with you about it via the ticket. They'll keep you updated.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
techdraws
8 of 9

Thanks Valeria.

techdraws
9 of 9

Account reestablished....was a rocky road on that....rather depressing - with no word on outcome or lesson learned.

Im a PhD - so Im not exactly a dummy....hope to stay on the platformf or as long as possible and avoid these awful suspensions.... will work harder to keep all corrsepondences within the system...sometimes clients insist on a phone call but that puts the freelancer at risk and not the client... have to bow to the powers that be and thank them for another chance. Thanks upwork.

Brad

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS