🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » duplicate messages from client looks strange
Page options
adhanet_
Community Member

duplicate messages from client looks strange

The job offer came through as a new message rather than in the same message, like most offers do. The client is asking me to open a telegram app etc. I've seen this before and the person ends the contract the moment I turn on the tracker and upwork accepts whatever rating they give even though it's obviously something strange. 

I've reported it to upwork and most recently to the FBI and police . Any advice outside of reporting it to Upwork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
adhanet_
Community Member

Update: **Edited for Community Guidelines** a community member deleted the screenshot that I provide then marked the first reply as a the solution. That was strange because it showed up as I marked it as the solution, which I did not. 

I closed the project with the client and refunded their milestone or rather they closed, there's more to that. Since then Upwork dropped my rating from 80 to 76% and the jobs are requiring 8 connects rather than 6. This is the end result so the solution.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
williamtcooper
Community Member

Adhanet,

Reporting prospects to Upwork that are breaking the Terms of Service is the right thing to do. Have a great day!

Thank you here is a screenshot. The other email said she wasn't aware of the duplicate. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I believe they've deleted my screenshot...not sure why, I deleted the contact info. Anywho, someone marked your response as the solution. Unfortunately, I've tried this many times but it didn't work. I was looking for a solution. Thank you though

Community Member

That's not a law enforcement issue unless the Client requested services that are illegal.

I reported something else, just because I know people like to use other peoples IP addresses and contact info. My home recently burned down so they are investigating this as a possible connection. 

Random question: Where do you look to find services that aren't legal in regards to marketing?

Well, I don't, so I can only hazard guesses. My off-the-cuff ideas of illegal marketing include:

• Copyright violations, like copycat branding.
  • Sales funnel diversion - creating a copy website, ad, or store but changing the contact information.
  • Deepfake media
  • Calls to illegal action (particular to political marketing).

ETA: You can look for those services on any freelancer/service marketplace (including, but not limited to, the darkweb marketplaces).

Super grateful, thank you. 

adhanet_
Community Member

Update: **Edited for Community Guidelines** a community member deleted the screenshot that I provide then marked the first reply as a the solution. That was strange because it showed up as I marked it as the solution, which I did not. 

I closed the project with the client and refunded their milestone or rather they closed, there's more to that. Since then Upwork dropped my rating from 80 to 76% and the jobs are requiring 8 connects rather than 6. This is the end result so the solution.

Adhanet k wrote:

Since then Upwork dropped my rating from 80 to 76% and the jobs are requiring 8 connects rather than 6. This is the end result so the solution.

The change in your JSS and the change in number of Connects required for jobs are wholly unrelated to the support ticket that you created regarding the Client that is violating the ToS. I just want to make sure that you understand that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members