cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay scam? Dropshipping, transferring them the $..how can I really verify..?

Highlighted
Ahja R Member Since: Mar 13, 2016
1 of 33

Hi all Smiley Happy So.. I am decent at sniffing out scams but this one to me is straight up 50/50 and I can't decipher the risk vs. reward...

Typical dropship proposal without saying the word "dropship" and sounds great.. Well known electronics e-Commerce site. They're in Spain, not based there. The guys email address though is "company name at email.com.." I mean, a free email host..?

Not TOO good to be true, but definitely has high reward if you take the risk with your eBay account. Selling electronics on my account sending them the money from my paypal, keeping a % of sale price + another flat rate each listing (not sure how specific I can get here..). 

RISK: I transfer Paypal money to them, they don't ship item..I owe eBay customer the refund and am out $2200. 

(I think in light of that bigger risk, losing my eBay account/getting bad feedback really isn't the concern..)

REWARD: I make almost three hundred dollars for dropshipping. Not even having to complete listing details or photos myself. Most minimal amount of work to put in EVER. 

Thoughts? How can I actually investigate to see if this is real? 

I requested a contract of some sort, and they keep giving me the details I need, but nothing that is "signed" and no project created here on Upwork for it..? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 33

Every single word of that screams "SCAM" to me.  

I'd be running away wildly, arms and legs flailing.

Highlighted
Debbie T Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
BEST ANSWER
3 of 33

Hi, 

I took on one of these jobs about 18 months ago and within 24 hours of listing the product on eBay I received an email form eBay banning me.  I lost my eBay account which had loads of great feedback as a seller (just selling my own unwanted items) and I also lost the Nectar points associated with it.  I had to reregister with eBay in order to buy and sell using a different email address (funnily enough, despite being banned by eBay, they still send me spam emails to the email address associated with my previous account).

When I contacted the guy here who'd hired me and sent a message telling him what had happened, there was no reply - surprise, surprise!  

Since then, if I get invited to interview for one of these jobs that involve using your own eBay account, I flag it immediately - it's against Upwork T&C - I would advise you to do the same.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
4 of 33

Thank you! 
As a fellow eBayer.. your insight and thorough reply is much appreciated Heart

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 33

@Ahja B wrote:

Hi all Smiley Happy So.. I am decent at sniffing out scams

No, you're not. If you are not sure about this, your scam radar is just not working at all.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 33

I can't believe you are even considering this. It is not 50/50 it is 100% scam and it is also against Upwork's ToS to ask for money upfront. You should report the job to CS and be grateful that you dodged a few bullets.

Highlighted
7 of 33

Being new to Upwork......

Can you clarify "against T&C to ask for money up front?"

As I never mentioned that I was asked for any money.. but would like to have some insight to UpWork in general....

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 33

If you would like some insight to Upwork in general, a good place to start would be the terms of service and client and freelancer policies.

Disintermediation is a big no-no in Upwork's book.

Just sayin' Man Indifferent

Highlighted
9 of 33

Seriously?
FYI, yet obviously nothing you and your condescention genuinely care about, I HAVE REVIEWED THEM SINCE THIS POST. 

I was actually just trying to reverentially point out YOUR inattention to detail of my OP, as I never once mentioned I was asked for money up front.

If you are going to be rude, (which truly only reflects on you), you should at least be sure you do it with relevance. 

Just sayin'..

Man Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 33

Ahja the only person who is being rude in this thread is you.

If you want to go ahead and get burnt dropshipping, none of us can do anything to stop you. However, it is a practice that is not allowed on Upwork, as Valeria (part of the Upwork team) has already pointed out.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS