cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay scam? Dropshipping, transferring them the $..how can I really verify..?

Highlighted
Ahja R Member Since: Mar 13, 2016
11 of 33

Nichola L wrote:

Ahja the only person who is being rude in this thread is you.

If you want to go ahead and get burnt dropshipping, none of us can do anything to stop you. However, it is a practice that is not allowed on Upwork, as Valeria (part of the Upwork team) has already pointed out.

I have to reply to this in detail, in hopes that others who are unnecessarily (or unknowingly) insulting, may resonate with this as well. 

In a community where we're all aiming for similar goals, one might presume there would be a more courteous rapport among peers. There is no need to ever respond to a simple question or comment disdainfully.

Valeria points out it is against UPWORK TOS to request a service that is illegal or against the T&C of another service or website. 

Dropshipping is ALLOWED on eBay, referred to as "product sourcing." I've done it successfully in the past with no burn scars. Therefore, this did not make sense, since it's not illegal on said particular "other service." She never stated listing/accepting dropshipping jobs ON UPWORK is not allowed. I have since asked her to clarify.

You incorrectly pointing out something that was irrelevantly advised (all due respect Valeria! ;] ) lacks attention to detail. There are tons of jobs on UPwork to assist with dropshipping businesses, while adhering to Upwork TOS regarding payment. This isn't the issue or these jobs would be removed (or should be). Therefore all of your presumptuous comments about me not reading Upwork TOS are unnecessary. 

Obviously there are aspects of the situation I inquired about that are against Upwork TOS, such as circumvention of payment which was (and continues to be) mentioned with concern.  However, asking to assist with dropshipping is not one of them. It was the nature of the entire proposal as a whole I was requesting courteous advice about. Amazing I get more patronizing replies than diplomatic, that even another member came to my defense.. LOL.

So I will stop giving your condescending frequencies any more energy.. and muddying up what will (hopefully) be a helpful post for future UPwork freshmen.

Let's be real. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Cliche, yet true.

Apparently I was assumptive to expect polite replies from other adults looking to help others. Maybe Upwork should offer an option to track how many of those looking to raise their kudos & comments tallies, are actually being self-righteous in the process. 

As a Newbie to the Upwork community, I asked a question: 50% of my hopes were to receive advice from tenured freelancers.. but also 50% of my hopes were just to get this thread on the forum, as I did not find recent topics on this exact area of concern.

Wow, did this first encounter ever deter me from coming to the community for advice again!
::End rant:: Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 33

Dropshipping is allowed, but as soon as your source doesn't ship on time and customer complaints come in, ebay will kill your account.

I'd post a link to a forum where all the blackhats discuss ebay, but it's blocked by some malware programs so Valeria probably wouldn't like it.

When someone wants to use your account, there is a 99% chance they got their own account banned for selling products that aren't allowed. There is no reason for someone to share revenue with you when they have a legit business going on ebay with their own account.

Highlighted
13 of 33

@ Rene -Honestly? LOL.. Having been in the corporate world and switching to this is quite different. First off I feel UpWork could possibly verify ID, legitimacy, etc of employers who register to hire..In this case, a generic ID is probably a red flag. However, compared to Freelancer.. this is much more trustworthy, but I digress....

Also not used to dealing with those from foreign countries, whose hiring standards & etiquette could be quite different. Let's be real.. anyone who received a proactive offer, (Greetings to you Misses from Africa. I am Dr. John Smith doing humanitarian work....") ..for a millisecond before you dismiss it as scam., have a quick moment of "wow I wish this was real." We're all human.

Lastly, I've done eBay way longer than I've done Upwork, obviously. Stranger, real opportunities have happened, including the incredible, "seems to good to be true" practice of dropshipping. Dropshipping in itself is a morally questionable practice to some as it is.. hence the MAIN reason I even considered it MAY be legit. Anyone who dropships for a living has that same risk.. maybe only with a benefit that the supplier doesn't KNOW they are being utilized as a dropshipping service.

But, I guess, thanks for your insight. Woman Wink

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 33

Hi Ahja,

Jobs that request a service that is illegal or violates the terms of service of another service or website are prohibited. Please, flag the job as inappropriate so the team can take appropriate actions.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Debbie T Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
15 of 33

This lady is new on Upwork, trying to find her way round and how it all works.  She's come to the fora for help and advice, not for sarcasm and derision.  Let's all help her with answers that are helpful and informative and give her the encouragement she needs to make a successful start here.  We're mostly old hands at this, know our way round and how it all works.  Let's be friendly, folks, and make sure that she feels welcomed here and has a good user experience.  After all, if we worked in a bricks and mortar office and somebody new started working there, we'd all (hopefully) be welcoming and try to help the person settle in without too much awkwardness and embarrassment.  We can do the same in this virtual office - be kind, be friendly and be helpful.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 33

Debbie, I don't believe I was being sarcastic - I was alarmed!

There isn't time to play Mrs Gentle and Mr Nice when someone might be about to shove their head unnecessarily into a noose.  Smiley Happy

Also - newcomers could save themselves a lot of angst if they read the rules and regs before starting.

Highlighted
Debbie T Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
17 of 33

Nichola, I wasn't singling you out as being sarcastic and my apologies if that's how my comment came across.  I was just a bit dismayed that people here weren't being as friendly as they could be.  We can still help this lady avoid getting scammed and be friendly and welcoming at the same time.

Once again, Nichola, if I've upset you, I'm sorry, it was the last thing I intended.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
18 of 33

No, no - you haven't at all upset me. But sometimes short and sharp from one person can save long and painful for another. I am just very pleased that the OP put this on the forum. Things could have been a lot worse for her than a few pithy comments from old timers.

Edited to add: I also sincerely hope that the OP has followed Valeria's advice.

Highlighted
19 of 33

Yes, for the record I pretty much had no intention of taking the "opportunity," and cut off communication before I even wrote this post...but in regard to another touchpoint from your reply.. 

I found it quite concerning that after searching the entire forum for a topic such as this, I had a hard time finding a RECENT match, totally relevant for 2016. I assumed that if someone like this is on Upwork searching for naive souls, there had to be a million more of them. 

That also added to my questioning if it was actually real...and glad it is appreciated that I asked because it also a big reason I did. This needs to be documented to prevent others from falling for it!

Highlighted
20 of 33

I think you took the words out of my mouth as I was telling my husband about these replies I received.. so thank you again for that!

Jeez, talk about unnecessary egotism! I'll just add that yes, let's try and be friendly, but more importantly matue and empathetic peeps. All of us are obviously trying to attain a level of personal freedom here and..karmic debt is always on the side of people like us Smiley Wink 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS