🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: *edited* - Apple ID App Testing--Scam?
Page options
jennifer4excel
Community Member

*edited* - Apple ID App Testing--Scam?

There are several things about this that just seem a little off, but not crazy off, I have contacted support, but customer service is not responding and if this is legit, I don't want to lose the contract. 

-I applied for a project to test an app.  I was contacted very quickly and told that I would be contacted by the contracts department.  I received an offer from another person (not the person I was chatting with and it did not come from the account I had applied to).  - I have seen this before and it has worked out sometimes...

-I also have noticed they have multiple ads posted, which I have seen before and doesn't necessarily mean it is a scam, but again just makes me wonder.

-They are saying they will pay through Upwork, they didn't do any interviewing off chat

-Project is for testing an ap, I looked the app up, it is legit and per reviews, definately has bugs.

-I downloaded the app and they had me put in their user name and password, it then said I would get an email with verification, which I thought I would get, but I didn't, they did, they gave me the verification code to enter.

-The reason why I stopped and got so concerned is that I got a notification from Apple that I received an email around the time I downloaded/signed into the app and it said "

was just used to download **edited for Community Guidelines** on a computer or device that has not previously been used. You may also be receiving this email if you reset your password since your last purchase."

-I may have reset my password since I last downloaded an app, but this made me really nervous that this could be a scam to steal the information on my phone.

Since they have multiple ads, they likely have hired multiple people and I wanted to know if anyone else has any issues or if anyone with more experience then me thinks this is or is not something to be concerned about.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Total scam and yes, many others have reported this too, yet it persists in appearing in our feeds. Please read these tip on how to sopt scams: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/List-of-red-flags-for-scams/m-p/1017044/highlight/true...

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45

Good going! But of course, there is little chance that the card number they gave to you was acquired legally...

Yes, I know, that’s why I reported everything to Apple, the police etc.. just in case. The balance is still there
7e7aec5c
Community Member

Please help me I just do this job today and I did several payments to this app , what could I do ? I already report the purchased with the Apple support but I need help with the Upwork, and I report the Job 

Since you have already admitted to going outside of Upwork with the money and no contract, Upwork will decide how to proceed. It is a violation of the Terms of Service and you can lose your account with Upwork.

As far as recovering your money, you won't. When you break the rules, there is no protection.  Take this as a lesson learned and if you have another chance to keep your account, I suggest you learn everything about how to work on the platform. Start with the Terms of Service and read everything in the Academy and on safety and red flags for scams.

If you reported something to Apple, they don't care because they have nothing to do with the scam. It is up to each freelancer to learn and follow the rules, so you don't break them and don't get scammed.

Over time on Upwork, you get a feel for what is a scam and what is not. And yes one of the first rules of Upwork, is you don't get paid outside of Upwork.

That being said, there is also something to be said about you in a good way. That you still are amazed at how petty, and at times selfish and deceifful people can be. I marvel at the amount of attractive women for instance, who follow me on instagram and the scam artists that put their profiles together. I marvel as well at those that still send "Russian Girl emails" to unsuspecting guys thinking that we will fall for a scam from email in a day and age when zoom calls are ubiquitious, but scammers and going to scam. 

f8c06ab4
Community Member

I just got scammed. They took $200 from my bank account. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members