🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » *edited* SCAM
Page options
Community Member

*edited* SCAM

I was scammed by someone claiming to represent **Edited for Community Guidelines** needing a proofreader. They have my personal information. This was my first time using this space, I didn't know scammers used this platform too. BE AWARE OF **Edited for Community Guidelines**

What can I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Member

Thanks so much. I a newby and thank you for pointing me in the right direction so that this never happens again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LuiggiR

Hi Patsy,

I am sorry to hear about this. Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you may want to check this thread to help you stay safe. Feel free to also check these help articles for more information: 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Community Member

Thanks so much. I a newby and thank you for pointing me in the right direction so that this never happens again.

pgiambalvo
Community Member
Community Member

I spent 2 days thinking that I had an assigment only to discover that it was a scam.  They pretended to represent **edited for Community Guidelines**.  They tried, but failed to acquire my bank information.

Glad you didn't fall for it! Please read and follow the ToS to help you from getting scammed in the future, because scam posts are unfortunately a part of Upwork life. And if you run across others, and you will, please keep posting about it here to raise awareness of how big of a problem this is. Alas, many freelancers don't know  that, and believe that posts are vetted by Upwork before they appear on their feeds.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Patsy, 

I was unable to identify the job post/proposal for this job in your account. If you haven't already, please flag the job post by following the steps listed here.

I want to point out that communicating outside of Upwork before a contract has started is not allowed. If your client invites you to communicate outside of Upwork for your interview, please let them know that you can conduct the call/chat through Upwork Message's video and voice call integration. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork. It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths