🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Chinese scam? UPDATED read descr.
Page options
zom1k
Community Member

*edited* scam? UPDATED read descr.

Cheers everyone I am Ilya!
I just joined upwork and managed to get 2 suspicious messages via other plattforms from 2 **edited for Community Guidelines** technicians. It seems like that in both cases they wanted me to verify my profile via a videocall and then give them the overhand of my profile to let them sell their own stuff on this website.
Summary of everything:
1. They want me to install Teamviewer aka. **edited for Community Guidelines**, how can I help you?
2. Take over the profile.
3. Pay you monthly for around 100$
4. "**edited for Community Guidelines**"

I personally have no clue if all that is legit. I just wanna let you know that something is going on out there and for a 19yo guy like me stuff like this sounds suspicious and weird at the same time.

Have you made a similar experience? Feel free 2 tell me.

P.S. I m using phone rn don't cry at me for all the little mistakes :^)

Cheers

UPDATED/EDIT: So I believe it is possible to track this mans ID and actually Report hin to the local government and everything since he will Connect HIS bank/ credit card on my account. I really want him to get punished since its probably a scam in its own way.

5 REPLIES 5
pudingstudio
Community Member

Ilya G wrote:
Cheers everyone I am Ilya!
I just joined upwork and managed to get 2 suspicious messages via other plattforms from 2 **edited for Community Guidelines** technicians. It seems like that in both cases they wanted me to verify my profile via a videocall and then give them the overhand of my profile to let them sell their own stuff on this website.
Summary of everything:
1. They want me to install Teamviewer aka. **edited for Community Guidelines** how can I help you?
2. Take over the profile.
3. Pay you monthly for around 100$
4. "**edited for Community Guidelines**"

I personally have no clue if all that is legit. I just wanna let you know that something is going on out there and for a 19yo guy like me stuff like this sounds suspicious and weird at the same time.

Have you made a similar experience? Feel free 2 tell me.

P.S. I m using phone rn don't cry at me for all the little mistakes :^)

Cheers

Suspicious, alarming, fraudulent. Against the TOS.

Do NOT provide access to your account to ANYONE.

Report the client(s) via 'Flag as inappropriate'.

It's a scam. And anyone who wants to install teamviewer you should view with suspicion. However, we don't know that they're **edited for Community Guidelines** just because they said so, they could be from anywhere.

re: "So I believe it is possible to track this mans ID and actually Report him to the local government and everything since he will Connect HIS bank/ credit card on my account. I really want him to get punished since its probably a scam in its own way."

I appreciate your enthusiasm.

But I doubt any local government would care about this.

The person is violating Upwork ToS. The matter is within Upwork's jurisdiction.

This person is offering to work through an Upwork profile that you created. What makes you think there is even a law against that in his local jurisdiction? If you tried to report this to police or other authorities, you would need to explain to them something they don't understand, aren't interested in dealing with, doubt they have jurisdiction over, and also convince them that you have somehow been a victim rather than a co-conspirator in some way that justifies their time to get involved.

He Lives in China. 3y ago or so they published a new la or something like that I cant remember it. Basically if you would use cheats in a videogame esports event you can go to jail. Very soon they also want to introsuce the point System which would lead to... I hope i dont have to explain this since its a long topic. I have no idea but I just feel like doing it
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ilya, 

I apologise for the delay in my reply, and thank you for flagging this here. If you haven't already, you may report these messages, and/or, the job post as inappropriate by clicking on the "Flag as Inappropriate" button on the job post, so that it goes to the team's queue and they can review and take action as necessary. 

If you haven't done this yet, you can file a tickt, or send it to me through a private message so that I can send this directly to the team. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths