cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*edited*

thetrishjones
Trisha J Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
1 of 7

Have any of you had dealings with **edited for Community Guidelines**?  I'm new to this site and trying to figure out if this is a scam or not.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I chatted with this person for quite a while on Google Hangouts.  He asked me general questions (normal interview stuff) and asked whether I preferred Direct Deposit or a Check bi-weekly.  The only questionable thing was that he asked for my bank name, but I did not provide.

Since I'm new to this site I want to make sure my little red flag is legit and I'm not being too cautious.

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can throw my way!

Trish

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Google Hangouts invite = scam

View solution in original post

thetrishjones
Trisha J Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
3 of 7

Across the board?

Thank you for replying!

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
4 of 7

Four things....

1) It's against Upwork's TOS to accept payment off site.

2) Anyone can pretend to be anyone online. It is pointless to check these websites and people names that they provide. More than likely the names they provided are legit but they are not who you are talking to.

3) Anytime payment is mentioned off site it's a scam. 

4) Anytime they ask to interview in Google Hangouts it's a scam.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 7

Hi Trisha, 

Preston and Amy have shared good advice. I'd also like to invite to read up on the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I'd just like to add that you can report these fraudulent clients by flagging their post as inappropriate so that our team can review the job post and the client's account, or by directly reporting it to our Customer Support team. 

~ Avery
Upwork
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 7

Here's my list of personal red flags:

• Interview on Google Hangouts or chatting on Facebook
  • Not paying through Upwork
  • Requiring you to spend money in some way to work for them; Sending you a check for equipment or whatever
  • Requesting personal information - Upwork already has it, the client doesn't need iOffering benefits like insurance, etc.  Freelancers do NOT get benefits ever
  • Using the name of a well known company and sometimes an actual employee of that company
  • Upaid tests, unpaid samples
  • Looking to hire dozens of freelancers

Be sure that nothing on your profile indicates that you are new to Upwork - that's a scam magnet.

kennethrichardso
Kenneth R Member Since: Jun 24, 2017
7 of 7

yea its a scam. I am notifying the proper authorities right now. thank you, for your input. I would have kept going with the questions as well, had I not found your post.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS