🐈 Community
jtheo24

employer won't pay after doing the requested job

hi, i was hired 2 weeks ago (may 4). i was required to work for 35 hours for a week. after completing the 35 hours. i sent a request payment but got no reply. how can i report this? thanks

3 REPLIES 3
katrinabeaver

Was you officially hired with a contract through Upwork?

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@John Theodore D wrote:

hi, i was hired 2 weeks ago (may 4). i was required to work for 35 hours for a week. after completing the 35 hours. i sent a request payment but got no reply. how can i report this? thanks

Did you have an hourly contract with the client? If not you will never be paid.

John:

The wording you use suggests that you do not understand how to use Upwork.

Contractors do not work 35 hours and then request payment.

A contractor will do one of the following:

a) Complete an assignment arranged as part of a fixed-price contract. Then SUBMIT the project, and get paid for it. The number of hour worked are not relevant.

or

b) Work a certain number of hours while logging time. Then you get paid automatically.

In netiher of these situation does a contractor work a specified number of hours and request payment.

Which is why previous forum participants and myself all suspect that you did not have an official Upwork contract. If you worked for a client who is an Upwork newbie, you may be able to get paid for your work. But if you were working for an experienced Upwork pseudo-client who routinely tricks newbie contractors into working for him, you will not be able to get.

If it turns out that you were tricked, it will be important for you to fully embrace this lesson and not try to get paid money for your work.

Learning Paths