sohasabry

end contract with bad client with no payment till now

Hi all,

My client is changing his requirement on daily basis, and I am fed up, it is a fixed price job with 40$ , he put a milestone of 10$, that he even didnt pay me so far, changed his requirement from excel sheet, to a flow diagram, that he even didnt agree to and wants to change it, I told him this is the last modification that I will make, but he has an evasive way that I cant tolerate, I want to end the contract with no effect on my profile, as I am still new freelancer

7 REPLIES 7

I had a client who was like that before. But now, he seems to have been transformed.  One thing I discovered is that he is a just man and really compensate me well when he is pleased with my work.  Going back to your story, I am not sure if your equation as regards being a new freelancer and having the privilege to end unpleasant contracts is sound, Soha.

joyeeta39

Hello,

You can give a refund to your client and also request him that you are a new freelancer, looking for new opportunity. Request your client, not to give a bad review after ending the job.

Most of the case, If you give a refund to any clients, his or her feedback doesn't show on profile unless you completed the one milestone or more. 

NO MILESTONE, NO FEEDBACK WILL SHOW ON YOUR PROFILE. But the feedback behind ending the job may cause you a little bit.

Thanks!

Requesting a client not to give a freelancer a bad review is not sound, either, Joyeta.  

colettelewis

@soha A wrote:

Hi all,

My client is changing his requirement on daily basis, and I am fed up, it is a fixed price job with 40$ , he put a milestone of 10$, that he even didnt pay me so far, changed his requirement from excel sheet, to a flow diagram, that he even didnt agree to and wants to change it, I told him this is the last modification that I will make, but he has an evasive way that I cant tolerate, I want to end the contract with no effect on my profile, as I am still new freelancer

Soha, if you can't discuss this with your client, press the release button for the funds with a polite note saying you have given far more work than the $10 he has funded. Your client will have fourteen days to dispute this amount, otherwise Upwork will automatically release this amount to your account. If your client disputes (which I hope he doesn't), then follow everything that customer support asks you to do.

Don't close the contract without asking first for your money, because the amount will revert to the client if you do.

I wouldn't refund either, because even if your client can't leave public feedback if you do, he can still leave private feedback, which could affect your eventual JSS.

Soha:

This is not complicated.

I like birds. I like the way they look. I like their songs. I like how they fly. My aunt has a parakeet. It's lovely.

I bought a puppy. It doesn't sing! It doesn't fly! It doesn't have bright pretty colors! I am very disappointed. It is nothing like my aunt's parakeet!

You are like the person who bought a puppy and expected it to be like a parakeet. It is never going to happen.

Some clients are never going to be fixed-price clients. They are not psychologically capable of understanding the fixed-price contract model. This doesn't necessarily mean they are bad people. It's just not something that is going to work with them. But you can work with them on an hourly basis.

Let's make this quick.

You're new.

You need positive feedback on your profile page.

The milestone is funded for $10.00.

There is no $40.00.

This is a waste of your time.

You yourself should close the contract now.

Mark it as successfully completed.

Refund or agree to any refund necessary so that zero dollars have been paid.

Then block the client from contacting you.

@Preston H wrote:

Let's make this quick.

You're new.

You need positive feedback on your profile page.

The milestone is funded for $10.00.

There is no $40.00.

This is a waste of your time.

You yourself should close the contract now.

Mark it as successfully completed.

Refund or agree to any refund necessary so that zero dollars have been paid.

Then block the client from contacting you.

You are right - except that if she closes the contract and refunds, the client can still leave private feedback that could affect her JSS further down the line, and she doesn't even get the money, or the opportunity to leave her own feedback.