🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » ending A contract
Page options
designgamapro
Community Member

ending A contract

I want to end a contract coz no work has been assigned. hardly I was getting 10 to 20 hours a week despite the contract being told 40 hours a week. it's a lowly paid job, I have told the clients I want to end the contracts but they tell me to hold on as not many projects are coming in their company. It's almost two weeks I am sitting idle. I really want to get rid of this what will be the right way to end these contracts.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would tell the client something like this: "As you are unfortunately unable to give me a full-time workload, I will have to take on other work as well. I will try to fit your work in alongside the other work, but I can't guarantee to be available immediately when you need me."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
louisaj
Community Member

If the client has told you it's quiet right now, then you could hold on. Freelancers usually juggle a few contracts at the same time, so try and get some other work in the meantime and then when this client has work for you, do that work. 

Everyone works differently, but I feel a freelancer should have a few clients at the same time, hence why it's freelancing and not a fixed-job in an office. For example, I have about 8 long-term clients that contact me when they have work, interspaced with one-off jobs. The long-term clients, most are on the hourly contract. However, this working model depends on the nature of the work and your time available.

If you do really, really, want to end the contract, the only possible way is to use the end the contract form/button and hope the feedback isn't too bad. 

I would tell the client something like this: "As you are unfortunately unable to give me a full-time workload, I will have to take on other work as well. I will try to fit your work in alongside the other work, but I can't guarantee to be available immediately when you need me."

Keep in mind that you have the right to end a contract any time. For any reason.

You also have the right to work on as many contracts simultaneously as you want to, as long as you can handle the workload and continue to provide quality service to clients.

So take on other jobs. Or cancel this contract. It's up to you. No client can prevent you from doing so.

thanks, Richards.

It really sharpens me up. I was kind of nervous about how to end a project. 

thanks, Louisa J,

it was really a great help to lessen me off.

I agree that I would leave this open for now, and tell them you'll be taking on another contract to fill the time. And to let them know when they have new tasks. When they do have more work, just be clear with them when the deadlines are and make sure it fits in your schedule. If you aren't available, they may choose to close it and part ways amicably. But just make sure they have the right expectation for when they choose to hit the play button again, that you will possibly be in the middle of another project but will do your best to stagger tasks and get their work done too, and it should be okay. I have numerous clients at the same time, and they all know I stagger their schedule of tasks. We agree on deadlines, and they leave me alone to get stuff done. 

Just be polite and make sure they understand. That's all you can do. But I'd refrain for a little while from closing it out. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members