cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ending a contract with unprofessional client

The story is I signed a contract with a person that tries to add a lot of additional duties which were not originaly discussed and is very unclear with the demands

Every design we agreed on at the start appears to be much more complex. some of them he tries to switch with very opposite things we didnt agree on. 

He seems super-unhappy when I started rising a quote due to his changes.

now I am scared to end up with a bad review, and concidering if I should close the project. 

I just want to return the money and forget he ever existed. Not sure if it will be seen in my success score..

I dont know what would be the best decision in this situation. 

5 REPLIES 5
mariawicz5
Community Guru

You should probably just end the contract and politely tell the client that it's not working out and that you don't want to use up any more of their "valuable" time, etc. etc. They'll probably give you a poor private feedback score (which still counts even after a refund), but it's nothing you can't bounce back from.

mkassem
Active

Do you have something written that summarizes the tasks that were required from you? like a deliverables list? amount of revisions?

You need to show them that you did what was agreed upon prior to starting the contract and that it is unfair to ask for free work and for extra revisions they would need to pay for the extra time spent by you.

It could be tempting to just refund them to maintain your rating but then it would be unfair to you as you DID the work.

For future contracts, make the deliverables very clear to the client and make sure you are on the same page. and specify what's included.

HTH

This client's behavior is unacceptable. Many clients do not understand fixed-price contracts. It takes experience and practice for contractors to handle such clients effectively.

You need to recognize the signs early on and put an end to those extra requests early on. No work out of scope. Be ready to quickly end a contract and not work with the client at all, or work with her using hourly contracts.

surely I will be much more careful nex time 

@Preston H wrote:

This client's behavior is unacceptable. Many clients do not understand fixed-price contracts. It takes experience and practice for contractors to handle such clients effectively.

You need to recognize the signs early on and put an end to those extra requests early on. No work out of scope. Be ready to quickly end a contract and not work with the client at all, or work with her using hourly contracts.

Honestly, I wish i can detect them, but it is always sunshine and happiness at first and when we deliver it starts to get messy. And those type of clients are quite often here. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS