cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

expert level wanted but budget only $5 - need better filtering on jobs

khrystyne713
Khrystyne R Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
1 of 10

Saw this post today and it really angers me. this client chose that they want an expert level provider to create a logo and packaging but that their budget is $5-6. These kind of posts are a waste of everybody's time. Makes the whole entry level or expert check boxes totally irrelevant. As I am searching jobs and looking for clients that want expert designers becuase I do charge a higher rate, finding posts like this is a joke. How can we fix this dilemna - does anyone else feel th same?

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
2 of 10

Yes.

An "Expert" in the field of accounting (CPA or CFO level) commands (or should command) an hourly rate of at least $100.

Yet, job postings are for fixed price bid budgets of $50 or less.

A Search in the category seeking "Expert" yields many just incredibly low offers.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 10

@Khrystyne R wrote:

Saw this post today and it really angers me. this client chose that they want an expert level provider to create a logo and packaging but that their budget is $5-6. These kind of posts are a waste of everybody's time. Makes the whole entry level or expert check boxes totally irrelevant. As I am searching jobs and looking for clients that want expert designers becuase I do charge a higher rate, finding posts like this is a joke. How can we fix this dilemna - does anyone else feel th same?

There's no need to be angry. If a job doesn't suit you, don't bid on it.

Searching by "expert" level is pointless on this site, since clients can choose anything they like, and the rate that's considered "expert" varies wildly depending upon geography.

I don't have a "dilemma" because I understand that the vast majority of jobs here won't suit me, and that skimming through the ones that aren't a fit is part of the legwork involved in freelancing. 

khrystyne713
4 of 10

Tiffany,

I do understand where you are coming from and certainly respect the idea that people charge different rates. But there comes a point when the whole request is just ridiculous. Logo and packaging which could take an experienced designer say 20 hours to complete - with their budget it would equate to 25 cents per hour. Doesn't matter where you are from, if you have a degree or talent for doing logos and packaging you absolutely DESERVE more than 25 cents per hour. It's disheartening, it devalues the industry, and I believe it reflects badly on Upwork too. I was one of the very top designers on Elance before this switch over and I did not encounter people asking for work for $5. This isn't Fivver. Just wish there was a better search filtering and more accurate posting. That would help everyone client side and provider side. Wouldn't you be happier spending less time sifting through jobs and more time doing them? After all, sifting is a part of the job that you don't get paid for. Thanks for your perspective on it.

Kind Regards,

Khrystyne

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 10

@Khrystyne R wrote:

Tiffany,

I do understand where you are coming from and certainly respect the idea that people charge different rates. But there comes a point when the whole request is just ridiculous. Logo and packaging which could take an experienced designer say 20 hours to complete - with their budget it would equate to 25 cents per hour. Doesn't matter where you are from, if you have a degree or talent for doing logos and packaging you absolutely DESERVE more than 25 cents per hour. It's disheartening, it devalues the industry, and I believe it reflects badly on Upwork too. I was one of the very top designers on Elance before this switch over and I did not encounter people asking for work for $5. This isn't Fivver. Just wish there was a better search filtering and more accurate posting. That would help everyone client side and provider side. Wouldn't you be happier spending less time sifting through jobs and more time doing them? After all, sifting is a part of the job that you don't get paid for. Thanks for your perspective on it.

Kind Regards,

Khrystyne

Honestly, I'm perfectly happy with the process as is. I don't believe that those ridiculously low priced jobs impact the rest of us at all. I'm not actively looking for work now, but when I was I would estimate that I spent 30-45 minutes/week browsing jobs and sending bids. Sure, I might have saved ten minutes or so if those low-paying jobs weren't there, but it literally takes two seconds to see a budget and keep moving. 

hodgesh
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
6 of 10

@Khrystyne R wrote:
I believe it reflects badly on Upwork too.

Some of the low budget amounts are just placeholders, but I agree with you 100%.

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
7 of 10

100% agree with Khrystyne and if those prices are placeholders it makes it pretty hard to tell if they are being serious or not or to understand what a client's budget really is. I'll just bid what I think is fair, but I personally never bid on $5 postings because it could be a placeholder or it could be someone really trying to go as low as possible. 

I know this isn't elance, but it was very helpful to have it so, for example, if you wrote 500-1000 that the price couldn't go below a certain amount for that one. I think it was 350 is the lowest with that range. It made sense to have it that way for clients who were looking to pay more for quality services and not wanting to sort through the extremely low bids. It's too random now, and the minimums were much better too. Not at all a rant about elance being better, its just this was something really helpful to have. 

michaeldk
Ace Contributor
Michael D Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
8 of 10

I fully agree with you on this. The situation before the merger was vastly superior, and that is coming from an oDesk perspective. I don't know what changed after the merger, but nothing good has come from it, at least not in the graphic design department. I see a flood fo ridiculously low priced offers, where often clients don't even see my email/profile because of the 30+ spamming low-cost designers with so-so portfolios.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
9 of 10

Every category has this problem and it is annoying.

I set the $ bar to $50 so I can avoid those.

khrystyne713
10 of 10

I agree Jean. My parameters were set to over $500 and expert level...so why this squeeked through I'm not sure. but either way its a shame that posts like this continue. Don't you find it kind of interesting... if we charge more for jobs the site makes more on commission... isn't that worth encouraging and supporting? Plus, we want to build a community and a reputation of being THE place to come to find good talented people for fair pricing. Yes, fair pricing means different things to different people, but lets encourage clients that the people they hire here are WORTH a fair wage and lets encourage those low balling providers that they should value themselves more or perhaps a different site that features $5 jobs would be a better fit for them and the clients looking for that. 

Eh, who knows if anyone who can make these changes ever listens to posts like these, but maybe they do. Maybe new updates in the future can grow this platform in a way that builds success for all of us.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS