cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fall in job success score for clients' late approval of work which was timely submitted

Ace Contributor
Rajee S Member Since: Jun 12, 2018
1 of 10

hey recently my job success score went down from 100 to 89% .

in this duration in fact i completed an assignment and got 5 star rating from client.

He ghosted me after submission well with in deadline and formally ended it after few months when i mailed him persistently.

Could this be as a result of that? can you correct it as records will show i submitted it within the deadline

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
2 of 10

Rajee S wrote:

in this duration in fact i completed an assignment and got 5 star rating from client.

He ghosted me after submission well with in deadline and formally ended it after few months when i mailed him persistently.

Could this be as a result of that? can you correct it as records will show i submitted it within the deadline

Yikes, yes, well, if you badgered him (sorry - I realize you were just worried), that for sure could have given him a negative view of his experience working with you. And his private feedback would reflect that. In fact, that would be honesty on the client's part. 

I'm not really understanding why you kept approaching him. Did you submit your work through the Submit button, then geat paid 14 days later? (I.e. even if the customer doesn't "approve" the submission, it will automatically go through after that time period.) If so, then you did the job and got paid. He didn't close the contract, but you could have, if you really wanted to. OTOH, just leaving it open shouldn't have been a problem, since your JSS doesn't suffer (or so I hear) if you've ever done work on a contract, even if it stays open for months or even years afterward.

Ace Contributor
3 of 10

thanks for the quick reply. i submitted through the submit button n got paid in 14 days. didnt know i cud end contract as i am new to upwrk. my follow up mails didnt annoy him as he left me a five star rating after almost after 4 months. all this while i wasnt mailing him regularly as i was busy completing  my ongoing assingment while managing my busy persoanl life, 

as closing the contract late shouldnt affect the job success score, then what has let to its sudden plunge from 100 to 89?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 10

Rajee S wrote:

as closing the contract late shouldnt affect the job success score, then what has let to its sudden plunge from 100 to 89?

Poor private feedback.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
BEST ANSWER
5 of 10

Rajee S wrote:

thanks for the quick reply. i submitted through the submit button n got paid in 14 days. didnt know i cud end contract as i am new to upwrk. my follow up mails didnt annoy him as he left me a five star rating after almost after 4 months. all this while i wasnt mailing him regularly as i was busy completing  my ongoing assingment while managing my busy persoanl life, 

My guess is, it did bother him but he was too polite to just outright say so. Then on the private feedback he had the question, "How likely would you be to recommend this freelancer?" and he thought, "I don't think I'd recommend her...she was kind of more hassle than the usual freelancer I work with...hmmmm..." and hit 5 or whatever, and your score tanked. This question in particular seems* to have a larger pull than other conditions rated in both private and public feedback.

* I say "seems" because ultimately JSS is still a bit of a mystery. Smiley Wink

Do more jobs, do a kick-A job on each and every single one, DON'T do "desperation" jobs (ridiculously low pay, client has horrible FB, etc.), and your JSS will pick up. And now you know that next time, if you've submitted and gotten paid, "ghosting" isn't anything to panic over. The client doesn't think of it as ghosting. You are one project of, probably, many. He isn't going to sleep thinking about his freelancers. Smiley Very Happy He may forget the project even existed, OR when reminded (repeatedly), may feel pushed in the midst of whatever other stuff he has going on. Being pushed isn't going to make him think back happily on the experience. And yes, even a few repeated VMs about it qualifies as being pushed. Don't *worry* about this but do *do it differently* next time.

Good luck!

Ace Contributor
6 of 10

thank you, your reply has been best so far. sharing his private feedback has been useful. i guess he wrote hassle as i followed up for closing the contract.

For your info- he himself wrote he will get back to me same day. Still i waited. in these 4 months i wrote to him just 3 times. is that 'unprofessional harrassment' as the gurus below have commented? 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 10

First, there is an entire subsection of the Community Discussions called New to Upwork. The stickied post at the top of that subsection has lots of tips that you'll want to read. Based on your post, it appears that you are relying on a lot of myths and half-truths to make important business decisions. Try to pin down the facts from more reliable sources. 

Second, while three times might not seem like much, each time you contacted the client you were asking him to do work for you. That's not what most clients come to a freelance platform to find. They come to the platform to get problems solved by people who will work for them.  Basically, don't poke a sleeping bear. 

On the other hand, the JSS changes based on a whole set of factors. So, saying that private feedback is the cause is speculative at best. There is an official Upwork statement regarding what can affect your JSS--any one of those factors could be what you are dealing with. Work hard, be selective about the clients you choose to work with and always remember that freelancing is not just about your deliverables but also your customer service delivery. 

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 10

Rajee S wrote:

It could be that you didn't get great private feedback because you got on his nerves. Next time end the contract yourself - one contract without feedback is not the end of the world, in fact it does not hurt your JSS unless almost all of your jobs are...

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 10

Rajee S wrote:

Yes, he probably gave you terrible feedback due to the unprofessional harassment.

Upwork "deadlines" are just part of your agreement with the client and have no impact on your JSS unless the client rates you poorly on meeting deadlines.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 10

Hey JSS masters, do you think her score dropped because the 3-star rating is still in the 6-month calculation window and some of the 5-stars fell out? (Are the scores weighted for proximity?) Or maybe the would recommend from that 3-star just took effect? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS