cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

false American named developer

goharnett
Eugene H Member Since: Sep 23, 2016
1 of 9

i noticed one developer had American name and bid lowest for job.

contacted him and it was not him but someone in India partnering with the named American fellow

sounded credible

they offered alot, plus maintenance after work is done.

he wanted to do payment directly off upwork network.

i feel i'm being duped.

my two part question: is it against upwork policy on both those things: using pseudonym for profile and requesting payment directly off upwork?

any suggestions on how to verify this person?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

It's a scam.

Go there and report this:

Help Center

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 9

You'll want to report them and yeah they like to use American names to dupe people. It's common in SEO too. If you have a site, I'm sure you've gotten the emails that promise #1 position in Google from a "reputed Indian SEO firm" and then signed "Jack" or "Adam" or "whatever. They just keep killing their rep one fraud profile bait and switch at a time.

The other one is likely not american either. It's common for them to use a UPS store address or a virtual office address to claim that they have a US presence. Sometimes they will claim to be in Canada too.

This widget could not be displayed.
4 of 9
This widget could not be displayed.

Sometimes the "American" and the Asian freelancer can be the same person. There is one translation agency on Upwork where the name of the "American" is a slightly modified variation of the Asian freelancer. "They" always log in to their account at the same time despite the fact that there is a 10 hours time difference.

goharnett
Eugene H Member Since: Sep 23, 2016
5 of 9

American location of the developer was the critical piece,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

but no business at the Texas address listed and no business entity of such name in Texas. 

beware of this folks.

I thought upwork verified people better.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 9

@eugene H wrote:

You have no idea...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 9

@eugene H wrote:

American location of the developer was the critical piece,

the name of developer was different, though the one from India called himself Kevin, said he studied in NYC, spoke fairly good English considering. convincing cover. very convincing.

even America address and website

webappplanet.com

but no business at the Texas address listed and no business entity of such name in Texas. 

beware of this folks.

Usually, the address is a giveaway. Here are some tips to detect a fake dev profile:

1. Do a street view on the address to see if it's a virtual office or UPS store

2. See if addy matches registered home owner if it's a home

3. Look at the domain registration on domaintools.com. This has domain privacy but it's in Oz. Should be US.

4. Search the testimonials. Sometimes they are dumb enough to plagiarize testimonials.

5. Search the logo. This guy's logo is free clipart. This is probably what you'll get for design too. 

6. Do a search on their portfolio items. This guy claims to habe built the vonage app. Other devs are in vietnam. None of these apps match their dev name and it's all different developers. Funny thing is that there was some other Indian/Pakistani person here claiming they built that app a few months ago. Wonder if it was the same guy? Upwork killed the account already.

7. Do a lookup of the domains in their portfolio with the term "portfolio" in search to see if someone else claims it.

8. View domains to see if they have the dev in the footer. Is it them?

hmmm that's all I can think of for now. I also judge even from the provider side when they get back to me. If it's 4am and they claim they are in Texas, prolly not in Texas. lol

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Eugene,

It's against the Upwork ToS if a freelancer misrepresents their location. So if you suspect a freelancer violates this policy, please report them to the team either by flagging the profile or by using the link Rene provided.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
8eb3bd1e
Travis A Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
9 of 9

Was the name **Edited for Community Guidelines** ??

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS