cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

false job postings

Highlighted
Avik D Member Since: May 15, 2015
1 of 10

Its been observed here in upwork that 78% of the clients are posting jobs only to gather information.

There are few clients who pick up conversation to find out how the process is going to work .

For example :: A client posted a job to get him hired to a data warehousing company in canada .As said
that he will pay 2500$ after he gets the work permit.

I told him very clearly that Canadian immigration lawyers dont even move an inch before they get paid .
As a matter of fact they dont even get a do their fee disclosure and they straightaway ask for 200 -
500$ basic consulting fee to discuss further.

Question is why are we entertaining such clients on upwork who themself's dont know what they need and
how then can get it.

A verified payment method on upwork does not mean that the client had paid the full money . He the
clients insists us to invest . what if they dont pay later in terms of fixed price contract just as the
case above ?

till now i have come across 5-7 clients who have posted jobs to gather info and then finally move on .

Cant u guys have a tracking system wherein the client makes the complete payment and it remains on
escrow and the funds are finally released when the work is complete .

At least freelancers working on fixed price contract does have security in such a case.

Half of the people here don't know what job they are doing (if at all they are doing it ) and it goes
to such above mentioned clients also .

Such situations are giving a growing level of dissatisfaction every single day .

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 10

Hi Avik,

In fact we do have an Escrow protection offered for all fixed-price contracts. The client has to fund the full budget or a milestone when he or she makes a fixed-price offer. The funds will then stay in Escrow until freelancer submits work and requests the money to be released. If the client doesn't release funds and requests a refund from Escrow, the freelancer will have an option to dispute. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 10

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Avik,

In fact we do have an Escrow protection offered for all fixed-price contracts. The client has to fund the full budget or a milestone when he or she makes a fixed-price offer. The funds will then stay in Escrow until freelancer submits work and requests the money to be released. If the client doesn't release funds and requests a refund from Escrow, the freelancer will have an option to dispute. 

What happens if the client does not release the funds and does NOT ask for a refund. How does the freelancer then get the money?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
4 of 10

If the client does not respond after 14 days, the funds are automatically released to the freelancer's account. Then the money is held for the 6-7 day security period.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 10

Upwork keeps using the words "release" and "hold." I do not think they mean what they think they mean.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
6 of 10

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Upwork keeps using the words "release" and "hold." I do not think they mean what they think they mean.

Just using their language...nothing more nothing less. I offer no comments or opinions.   

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 10
Thank you, Julie, for clarifying the disturbingly incomplete response from the moderator.

Best,
Michael
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
8 of 10

of the 6 jobs I applied for the last time I used any credits two months ago, only one actually hired anybody. Cat Sad

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alexandra H Member Since: Mar 7, 2015
9 of 10

Yeah, most are just hunting for cheap, cheaper, cheapest!

Seems like the bargain hunters are being replaced by the let's-see-how-low-they-will-go hunters, offering USD 0.001 per word for human translations (I kid you not; on another platform, though), even though the average is supposed to be 0.1-0.04.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
10 of 10

@Alexandra H wrote:

... even though the average is supposed to be 0.1-0.04.

Unfortunately not on this platform. Most clients I encounter want to pay $0.01 - $0.03/word. Or less.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS