Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fed up with ridiculous budgets from some clients

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mindy T Member Since: Oct 30, 2015
1 of 14

Upwork, you have got to change how you categorize the lat project budgets!  This is getting ridiculous!  I have a few RSS feeds set up where me I should be getting posts where the budgets sishould oonly be $$ and $$$ but I still get projects that oiionly want $13 for 1,000 words and $20 for 700-1000 words.  And yes, my RSS feeds oor oonly come ffrom the US! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 14

Try to think of Upwork as a place to find potential leads. It is still up to you as the business owner to identify which of those leads is a qualified prospect. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 14

True but if I'm wanting to see posts for $$ and $$$ then tthere is no no reason why I sshould be say getting lpprojects up with the budgets I mentioned. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
4 of 14

@Mindy T wrote:

True but if I'm wanting to see posts for $$ and $$$ then tthere is no no reason why I sshould be say getting lpprojects up with the budgets I mentioned. 

Yeah, I agree on that. I just found a job listed as $$$ and paying $12 for 1,00 words. 

I was soooo tempted to send in a proposal just to educate that clown and explain that an expert wouldn't even touch his job with a 10-foot pole, but I've only got a few connects left so it isn't worth it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
5 of 14

@Mindy T wrote:

The thing is, if you've specified you only want to see $$ and $$$ jobs, then you will only see $$ and $$$ jobs. The issue is what certain clients define as being $, as opposed to $$ and $$$, as there's no specific threshold set for each bracket. And there couldn't be, as it's going to vary by category, sub-category, specific work within the sub-category, and who you ask when it comes to what the rates would be. 

As a result, it's possible you could see a $$$ project for $3 an hour, or a $ project for $300 an hour.

They're just used as a general option to get an idea of whether the client is looking for an entry level, intermediate, or expert freelancer, and I'm pretty sure the dollar symbols are just added to give any clients who aren't quite 'on the ball' a gentle reminder that an expert will probably cost them a bit more than an entry level freelancer. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 14

It seems like kind of a waste of time and energy to get fed up with projects posted by clients you aren't going to work with that don't affect you at all except that you spend 1-2 seconds ascertaining that you're not interested in the job. It's a international marketplace for people of all skill levels and businesses of all types and budgets. Getting fed up with postings looking for cheap labor seems no more productive than getting fed up that there are a lot of web design jobs posted and I'm a writer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
7 of 14

But, there are always public forums where we can post to vent our frustration, so I see no problem in doing that. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 14

@Alexander F wrote:

But, there are always public forums where we can post to vent our frustration, so I see no problem in doing that. 

True...if venting frustrations is how you want to spend your time, there's certainly no prohibition on that. Just seems a shame to immerse in the frustration and spend more time talking about it versus taking action, making some money or going and doing something you enjoy.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 14

Believe it or not I didn't start this just to gripe.  I wanted to bring in it to Upwork's attention as a possible touchy point to oother freelancers aas well.  It is frustrating seeing a good prospect but then seeing that they dont want to spend that much on a professional service is a little demeaning.  I do wish tthere was a way Upwork could do it like $=$1-10, $$=11-15 etc.  To me that would help the lients and the freelancers both. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 14

@Mindy T wrote:

I do wish tthere was a way Upwork could do it like $=$1-10, $$=11-15 etc.  

It would make no sense at all. What is the right price tag to associate with '$', or '$$', or '$$$'? For what kind of job? For what geography?

Even in one industry there may be different scales of values. Take translation for example, different language pairs have different rates. A writer in English may charge more than a writer in Hindi.

There is no possible way to achieve what you suggest due to the differences between industries and geographies on Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS