🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: feedback
Page options
jonathancastro39
Community Member

feedback

What do you think of the customers who put poor feedback for refusing to perform extra tasks not agreed in the initial contract and deny myself to work on a contract paused? have you dealt with this type of client? Tell me a bit about your experience, thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Jonathan C wrote:

What do you think of the customers who put poor feedback for refusing to perform extra tasks not agreed in the initial contract and deny myself to work on a contract paused? have you dealt with this type of client? Tell me a bit about your experience, thank you.

It happened to me early on, when I had not learned to clearly specify what is and what is not included in any given milestone. I learned from that, so it didn't happenen again in 200 or so contracts.

Now when clients ask me to do things outside the original scope, I enthusiastically agree to do it, tell them what it will cost them or estimate how many additional hours it will take if they ask on an hourly contract.

It has never resulted in poor feedback, it's mostly a matter of choosing clients carefully and then managing contracts and clients competently and professionally.

Clearly nobody with any sense works on a paused contract.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jonathan C wrote:

I never had that happen to me. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jonathan C wrote:

It happened to me early on, when I had not learned to clearly specify what is and what is not included in any given milestone. I learned from that, so it didn't happenen again in 200 or so contracts.

Now when clients ask me to do things outside the original scope, I enthusiastically agree to do it, tell them what it will cost them or estimate how many additional hours it will take if they ask on an hourly contract.

It has never resulted in poor feedback, it's mostly a matter of choosing clients carefully and then managing contracts and clients competently and professionally.

I agree, it is crucial to make it Very clear what your responsibilities will be in this project from the very beginning. I like to, before agreeing to accept the contract, list everything that me and my customer agreed I will do, and ask the client to confirm. Later on, if this situation happens, and surprisingly, and quite unlike in Petra's experience, it still happens to me occassionally, I refer the client to this list, explaining that I have completed everything we agreed on and what he/she is asking me to do is not within the scope of this contract. 

Petra R wrote:

Jonathan C wrote:

I offered  to negotiate a rate increase which the client rejected, wanted extra work at the same initial cost which is illogical, at the end of the story the client canceled the contract on its own, it was not necessary for me to give up this contract

browersr
Community Member

From your profile I am only seeing an hourly contract. Are you suggesting that this issue happened with a fixed bid contract (what I had assumed) that isn't on your profile yet? This would otherwise be a very odd issue to have with an hourly contract unless the extra work is not something you are capable or willing to perform and this was not communicated during the hiring process.

petra_r
Community Member

Scott B wrote:

This would otherwise be a very odd issue to have with an hourly contract unless the extra work is not something you are capable or willing to perform and this was not communicated during the hiring process.

the contract is paused... Also see the OPs other posts for context.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths