Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feedback

madhus4
Ace Contributor
Madhumika S Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
1 of 14
I am tired of asking clients to close contracts and leave a feedback. One of my client finds the entire process annoying, but has already hired me for another job. I have very few projects for me to let it go. Can you suggest a better way of getting feedback.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 14

I have never (and never would) asked a client to leave feedback. Never. Not once. I never will, either. I'd never even mention feedback. As a client freelancers asking for feedback irritate the hell out of me, especially when they ask for good feedback.

As long as you condition clients to close the contract, feedback is automatic. Most well managed clients have absolutely no problem with that, and a small percentage of contracts that end without feedback does not hurt your JSS so the odd one that gets away isn't an issue.

madhus4
Ace Contributor
3 of 14

well, my client got annoyed with closing the contract and he already hired me for another project. So now I am going to have 2 open projects. I mean that can't be my fault. 

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 14

@Madhumika S wrote:

well, my client got annoyed with closing the contract and he already hired me for another project. So now I am going to have 2 open projects. I mean that can't be my fault. 

Why did the client open a new contract and why did you accept it when there is already one open? There is no need to have two contracts, you could have just carried on working on the existing one....

madhus4
Ace Contributor
5 of 14

As in he funded and paid one fixed price contract. After a couple of weeks, he hired me for a different fixed funded project.

petra_r
Community Guru
6 of 14

@Madhumika S wrote:

As in he funded and paid one fixed price contract. After a couple of weeks, he hired me for a different fixed funded project.

Why did he not simply add a milestone to the existing contract? Would have been SO much easier and quicker than a whole new contract? How do you know the client was annoyed about ending the contract? Did the client say so to you?

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
7 of 14

@Madhumika S wrote:
I am tired of asking clients to close contracts and leave a feedback. One of my client finds the entire process annoying, but has already hired me for another job. I have very few projects for me to let it go. Can you suggest a better way of getting feedback.

I agree with Petra - don't focus on the feedback but on the closing of the contract.

This is total annoyance, for sure, but inactive contracts do start to ding your JSS at about the 3 month mark -- I just figured out this timing last week when my score went down by 2% with no new closed or opened contracts, but one that was without activity for exactly 3 months. My practice is to send a note after 6 weeks or so making sure that the client has everything they need from the project, thanking them again for the work, and adding a line that I'd appreciate it if they had a moment to go and close the contract if everything is good. No mention of feedback.

If I don't hear from them after another couple of weeks, I just go ahead and close the contract myself. The trick is not to close too many at once, but time them around other contracts closing with successful feedback.

It would be really nice if Upwork could figure out a better system for this, without burdening freelancers, who are penalized by client inaction, and without annoying clients too much, who got what they wanted and moved on with their lives already.

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
8 of 14

No, not really. We are responsible for our clients inactivity. I mean, absurd, but what can you do.

9 of 14

Exactly most clients pay and think their work is complete, without realizing how we are affected. honestly, my client is really sweet, so I don't want to say no to his projects just because of my JSS score dropping.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 14

Upwork's position is that a *pattern* of jobs with no feedback indicates poor client and contract management, and as a client I tend to agree. This is why JSS is negatively impacted if a freelancer has a *pattern* of jobs with no feedback.

There is more to being a successful freelancer on Upwork than just winning a job and delivering the finished product. Client and contract management is an important skill for all freelancers. It starts before you even bid on a job (does the client have a great history of feedback, both given and received) and doesn't end after you have delivered the finished product.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS