Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feedback

madhus4
Ace Contributor
Madhumika S Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
11 of 14

Payment by the client and rehiring should count more for client management, than me asking them to close and contract. for bigger hourly contracts its fine, but smaller couple of days projects can be time-consuming for the client. (This is my client's response was when I asked). I love this platform, just looking for some tips from experienced freelancers.:D

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
12 of 14

It takes barely any time at all to close a contract and leave feedback. Clients are busy and some get their work and leave the platform, but taking the time to respond to you and tell you that it's time consuming takes about the same amount of time it would have taken to close the job. 

I do the same thing Jess does - politely reach out, inquire about finalization of the project, explain that the job can be closed and I'd be happy to work with the client again in the future. The only time I've ever had clients not close contracts is when they disappear from the platform altogether. Clients who remain on the platform with ongoing work and simply refuse to close contracts because it takes too long are being bizarrely lazy. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
13 of 14

@Madhumika S wrote:

Payment by the client and rehiring should count more for client management, than me asking them to close and contract. for bigger hourly contracts its fine, but smaller couple of days projects can be time-consuming for the client. (This is my client's response was when I asked). I love this platform, just looking for some tips from experienced freelancers.:D

I have several clients who have specifically mentioned that just adding milestones is bothersome. They would prefer a system that allows the freelancer to handle everything from start to finish so that all they need to do is pay the bill when it arrives. In response, I try to make the process of using Upwork as easy as possible for them. One way of doing so is to allow my long-term clients to keep contracts open and not fuss over feedback.

I've closed old contracts with at least three different clients only to have them return and hire me again. I know they are happy with my work, but I don't have the feedback to show for it. Everything has worked out though, I still have a solid JSS score and the clients are as happy as they can be, given the limitations of the system.

I recognize that others here believe asking the client to close and leave feedback shouldn't be a problem. However, my clients are telling me that any interruption, any extra website they have to visit or login they have to enter, is a friction point in their day.  I get paid to smooth away friction points not create them. 

On the other hand, as a client, I have forgotten to close contracts and leave feedback and had to be reminded. Since I'm a freelancer, too, I "get" the message when one of my contractors sends me a gentle "Is there anything else I can do for you" nudge.  I'm happy to help my freelancers by closing out their contracts, but nevertheless, it is an interruption in my day. I guess it isn't so much a matter of time as it is planning and workflow. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
14 of 14

If your client wants to keep working with you, don't ask them to close the contract. Don't worry about feedback. Let the client keep paying you. You are on the platform to earn money, right?  While getting a good JSS score may be important, it isn't more important than keeping a paying client happy. 

First, keep your client happy and earn the money.  Then, worry about JSS later.  Because if you hassle your good paying client about closing contracts and leaving feedback, you'll receive a bad review and lose the chance of earning more money from that client. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS