🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » finalize the hourly contract. But he's slow t...
Page options
8616c653
Community Member

finalize the hourly contract. But he's slow to respond.

I'm working on an hourly basis for a client. I've kindly and politely expressed that I no longer want to continue working for them. The issue is that there's no communication or exchange. In this case, I've stated my intention to withdraw, but they haven't responded, and I don't know what to do. Should I just terminate the contract on my own, or should I wait for their response?

2 REPLIES 2
krishujoshi4077
Community Member

When dealing with an unresponsive client after expressing your desire to end an hourly contract, it's essential to follow professional and contractual guidelines. Here's a step-by-step approach you could consider:

1. Review the Contract Terms: Recheck the contract terms to see if there's a notice period required before withdrawing from the contract.

2. Document Your Communication: Ensure that all communication regarding your intention to end the contract is documented via Upwork's messaging platform. This will help protect you if there are any disputes.

3. Send a Follow-Up: If you've already waited a reasonable amount of time (typically a few business days), send a polite follow-up message reiterating your intent and requesting a response.

4. Give a Deadline: Let the client know that you will end the contract by a specific date if you don't hear back from them.

5. End the Contract: If the client still does not respond, and you've given ample time and clear communication, you may proceed to end the contract yourself through the platform. This action should be consistent with Upwork's policies and the contract terms.

6. Leave Feedback: Once the contract is closed, leave honest and professional feedback regarding the experience.

7. Keep Records: Keep the records of all communications and work logs in case you need to refer to them later.

While ending a contract due to lack of communication from the client’s side, it's essential to maintain professionalism throughout the process to uphold your reputation on the platform.

spectralua
Community Member

You are boss. You can close contract when needed, client as well. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members