🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » first time accepting an offer
Page options
youmnahmad
Community Member

first time accepting an offer

what happens if i have already accepted a job offer but didn't set up a verified payment method yet. where does the money go? and is it possible to not charge my client for the sake of maintaining a proper reputation?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Youmna A wrote:
what happens if i have already accepted a job offer but didn't set up a verified payment method yet. where does the money go?

The money stays on your Upwork account for the time being, but you should set up a withdrawal method as soon as possible. If you wait too long (months) the money is returned to the client.

Youmna A wrote:
 and is it possible to not charge my client for the sake of maintaining a proper reputation?

Why in the world would you NOT charge a client? That is bad news. You work to earn money, Upwork wants you to earn money (so they earn money) and a contract where nothing was paid not only won't show on your profile, it creates a "nothing paid" contract which is seen as unsuccessful and not good for your reputation at all.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Youmna A wrote:
what happens if i have already accepted a job offer but didn't set up a verified payment method yet. where does the money go?

The money stays on your Upwork account for the time being, but you should set up a withdrawal method as soon as possible. If you wait too long (months) the money is returned to the client.

Youmna A wrote:
 and is it possible to not charge my client for the sake of maintaining a proper reputation?

Why in the world would you NOT charge a client? That is bad news. You work to earn money, Upwork wants you to earn money (so they earn money) and a contract where nothing was paid not only won't show on your profile, it creates a "nothing paid" contract which is seen as unsuccessful and not good for your reputation at all.

thanks ALOT! that was extremely helpful and such a relief honestly 😄
prestonhunter
Community Member

Youmna:

You say that you want to work for free, and NOT charge a client, in order to enhance your Upwork reputation.

No, you can not do that.

You are NOT HERE to get stars. You are here to get money.

If you just want to earn stars, you need to go somewhere else.

Furthermore, it is AGAINST UPWORK TOS for clients to ask freelancers to work for free.

And it wouldn't help you anyway.

Because it is impossible for any feedback to appear on your profile page work history for any work that you were not paid for. (Technically: Must be paid $1.00 or more.)

Preston H wrote:

If you have accepted a job offer, and the client is not yet payment-verified... Tell the client:

I think she means she has not set up a withdrawal method, rather than that the client does not have a verified payment method, hence her asking where the money goes.

Thank you so much! i figured working for free sounded dumb, totally not doing that! 😅
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths