🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » fixed prices seem weirdly low; am I missing s...
Page options
04a6c4fa
Community Member

fixed prices seem weirdly low; am I missing something?

I'm seeing what look like high level multi-month gigs listed at fixed prices of $350.  They seem to be coming from corporations that are looking for a lot of skills and ability -- and for many hours per week.  Is the fixed price for the entire project -- or for a portion of it?  How do you find out?  Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

If a project sounds like a great fit for me and the job post is written in a way that suggests the client is a professional person with a modicum of common sense, I ignore the budget and submit a proposal the aim of which is to start a conversation. Clients often don't know what their project should cost and try to put in a placeholder that will attract quality candidates without suggesting they'll give away the farm. IME they also don't necessarily know--and sometimes don't care--whether fixed-price or hourly terms will work best for what they need. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis
Community Member

I think these jobs are to be avoided and are dodgy at best.  I've also noticed that some FLs seem to have fallen for accepting $350 for $50 gigs and promising to refund the balance to the "client", who invariably issues a chargeback on the full amount. 

Your profile tells me that you are way, way beyond even looking at these jobs! (I expect Upwork will eventually get around to checking them out and adding 2+2!)

r-milind
Community Member

For some projects the client might have posted a dummy low-figure price. It is always good to submit the proposal and have a quick Zoom call with the client and tell them your expectations based on the scope of work. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

If a project sounds like a great fit for me and the job post is written in a way that suggests the client is a professional person with a modicum of common sense, I ignore the budget and submit a proposal the aim of which is to start a conversation. Clients often don't know what their project should cost and try to put in a placeholder that will attract quality candidates without suggesting they'll give away the farm. IME they also don't necessarily know--and sometimes don't care--whether fixed-price or hourly terms will work best for what they need. 

thanks so much!  I would do that if I had more "connects," but am currently just choosing jobs with hourly rates that seem to be within a normal range for the work I do.  have one great client; had to turn down another because they simply couldn't afford me.  I thought the rate was per-product, but it was for the entire project (six products!).  Ah well, so it goes!

Lisa Jo R wrote:

thanks so much!  I would do that if I had more "connects," but am currently just choosing jobs with hourly rates that seem to be within a normal range for the work I do.  have one great client; had to turn down another because they simply couldn't afford me.  I thought the rate was per-product, but it was for the entire project (six products!).  Ah well, so it goes!

Don't fall into the "penny wise, pound foolish" trap of trying to budget connects. They cost 15 cents apiece. Buy a whole bunch and focus on targeting clients and projects, not scrimping connects. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members